Saturday, January 19, 2019

Snowy, Snowy Morning


7:32
I woke up late again, at 7:30, came downstairs and Evie was already up, sitting by the fire and the coffee was made.  We are trading places, with me sleeping in and her getting up too early.  It's just about a whiteout towards the lake, as Long Point and the fishing tents are just gray blurs.  We got a couple of inches last night and the snow should begin in earnest around 10:00, dropping 10 to 20 inches depending on where you live.  Winter on.  And when I walked out on the porch to take a photograph of the morning, instead of the sounds of bass boats roaring out of Long Point, I hear the buzz of augurs, drilling holes in the ice. 

7:33
Yesterday was TGIF for most people but us.  We don't particularly like Friday because it means another week has flown by with hardly a notice.  Tempus Fugit.  It was, however, a typical weekday for us. I was up early, got my blog written, said aloha to Evie and went to yoga class at 9:30, another good class with Julie. When it was over, I skipped coffee, as I had enough for the week, and drove to Aldi's to see if the salmon I wanted was available and it was.  We will see if it's just as good as the last time I bought it and whether it was the salmon or the marinade which made the difference.

When I got home, Evie had cheese and tomato sandwiches ready to broil and of course, we had a pot of cauliflower soup from Thursday.  She then drove off to Lakewood, to walk on the treadmill at the YMCA and return (and buy) some items at T. J. Maxx.  I have my routine down, of course, lunch, FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS, read and take a nap.  Evie was back earlier than I expected, around 3:00.

We then took it easy, watching TV or reading until 4:00 when I decided to go cross country skiing and get in some exercise.  It had snowed a couple of inches so I thought the skiing would be better than it was.  I went as far as Sandy Bottom but the ice was crusty under the snow so that I had to constantly pay attention to my balance rather than slide and glide the way I like. 

A Fishing Village /Cross Country Skiing Afternoon
I was out just over a half hour, having had enough of the rough choppy ice.  It did not bother the fishing guys because there was literally a village off of Long Point, stretching in both directions.  When I came in, I noticed three guys were squatting about 30 yards off of our lakefront, fishing. 

Squatter # 1

# 2
Around 5:00, we had our wine and appetizers, as the fishing huts gradually disappeared as it got dark, with one or two crazies staying out with lights  Dinner was the leftover chicken marsala and noodles.  All Evie had to do was pop it in the microwave and make a salad.  We were not sure what to watch so I picked out a film I thought we might like but after 10 minutes we stopped it as we had no interest in the characters.  So we started another film I thought we might like called IS THAT YOU.  It's an Israeli award winner and we really liked it.  I thought we would.  It's about Ronnie, a sixty-year-old film projectionist who goes in search of Rachel, his girlfriend from forty years ago.  He flies to the US, hooks up accidentally with a young female filmmaker, and together they go in search of his first love. As they move from one city to another, she is filming various people they meet, asking them if they 'have any 'regrets in their lives.'  It's a quirky, feel good movie available on Amazon Prime, and I highly recommend it.  Alon Aboutboul plays Ronnie, extremely charming and charismatic, has been nominated for many best actor awards in Israel.  We ended the night as usual, with Colbert to laugh and Vice news to weep,


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...