Wednesday, January 16, 2019

An Icy, Cold And Cruel Morning


Whiteout At 8:30
Done For The Day
I was up at 6:45, walked outside to a frozen, icy morning, my car windows totally iced.  It's an ugly, gray morning, without a hint of sunlight but the fishing tents have been out since before 7:00.  And it looks like we might get quite a bit of snow at the end of the week.  Because of last night's dusting, I might be able to cross country ski on the lake since its now white from the snow. At the moment, it's 8:30 and there's a whiteout, as Long Point has disappeared in the snowfall.

Hiking To Lake Erie
Yesterday was a back to normal weather day, quite a contrast to Monday's sun.  I don't usually go to yoga on Tuesdays, my day off so to speak, so we had a long morning, dragging out our coffee, breakfast, and writing of the blog. And we waited and waited for Evie's Virtual Appointment with the Cleveland Clinic at 9:30, a follow up to her surgery.  By 11:00, however, we gave up on the call, and I  convinced Evie to go for a walk along Chautauqua Creek in Westfield, out to Lake Erie.  So like a reluctant puppy (Evie's words), I had to drag her out of the warm, comfy house, to our car.

To The Creek

Chautauqua Creek
We went the long way, along Hardscrabble Road with its view of the snow covered vineyards, with Lake Erie in the distance.  We pulled into the parking area, just next to the creek.  The creek was partially frozen, but still rushing toward Lake Erie and path to the lake was free of ice and snow making it easy for Evie to walk.  It was cold and windy, especially when we approached the lake.  The delta formed at the mouth of Chautauqua Creek was riddled with driftwood, piles of it, a foot or two deep.

Driftwood 
A Gravel Path Along The Creek
I walked down to the shore, but we did not linger as it was uncomfortable because of the wind.  We were back in the car in a half hour, happy to be on our way home. We stopped at the Lighthouse to pick up a sub sandwich for lunch and Evie picked out two bags of Utz chips.

Village Of Fishing Huts
We split the sub for our lunches and I heated up the last of the quinoa soup.  I watched Friday Night Lights, of course, before reading and taking a nap.  I was awakened by a phone call on my iWatch and was able to answer it with my watch.  Cool beans.  We then watched some TV, did some cleaning up the kitchen and house until I decided to cross country ski in our woods.  I gathered all the cross country skiing stuff and made my way up to the woods, looking for the least difficult way.  I managed to get to the trail I usually walk by bushwhacking through the woods and made sure to avoid any steep downhills.  I do not want to fall.  I was out for forty-five minutes, enjoyed it, and even worked up a sweat.

After I came home, I had a beer and some assorted nuts for an appetizer as we enjoyed our libations in front of the fire as the sky darkened.  Dinner was leftovers, the sausage and white bean stew we had eaten Monday night.  This time we had it over rice to stretch it for our dinners.  We decided to watch EIGHTH GRADE, a film we had been avoiding because we knew it would be hard to watch.  And it was, as Kayla struggles with connecting with others, with trying to be part of the cool girls.  It's a fair, accurate but heartbreaking view of what many of our teens go through as they move through school.  We ended the night with the usual, Colbert and The Great English Baking Show.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...