Saturday, January 12, 2019

Baby, It's Cold Outside


7:36

7:42

7:43
It's just after 8:00 and I have been up for little over an hour, to cloudy skies, a frozen lake and another cold day.  Yesterday was the coldest day of winter as I mentioned, with temperatures getting down to single digits.  It's 18º at the moment so it's warming up! The lake is frozen, look like a vast ice rink and I imagine if temperatures remain in the teens, we will see ice fishermen out on the lake soon.

Yesterday, as I mentioned, was cold but I did not let it stop me from going to yoga class with Julie, always a good class.  There were just four of us, so I had no worries about finding a place for my yoga mat.  After class, I stopped for coffee before heading to Wegman's to do some shopping.  Unfortunately, I walked out of the house without a wallet, without my phone.  I do keep some extra cash hidden in my car for reasons like this, so I ended up doing some shopping, hoping I could remember most of the items on Evie's list.  I didn't.  But most of the items were not necessities so I was redeemed.

When I returned home, Evie had been worried that I was looking for my phone and wallet, not realizing that I left it at home and had called the yoga studio.  So she was surprised that I did go shopping, without a list, without a credit card or phone but I am resourceful.  Lunch was easy when you like leftovers which I do.  I warmed up the leftover spaghetti, mushrooms, and sausage from earlier in the week and watched another episode of Friday Night Lights.  I know I have watched this season before but I hardly remember a thing about it.  I finished up my Bosch novel, not my favorite but still pretty good and am now looking for my next book. I have a couple in mind, two saved on my Kindle and one hardback given to me by a friend.

Snowy Woods
Friday afternoon was strange for one reason, it was sunny, with blue skies.  I could not pass up this aberration, anomaly, so I gathered up my skis and poles, popped them in the Outback and drove over to the end of Lakeside Drive, just outside of Long Point State Park.  It was a good decision as the woods were frosted with snow although the trails were surprisingly rutted, most likely from guys with fat tire bikes.  Clearly, they have discovered the park and its trails.  I stayed in the woods, deciding to avoid skiing out to Long Point.  I did come across two teenagers snowshoeing and a couple of women, skiing like me with their dogs.  Obviously, others wanted to enjoy the day like me.
And even though the temperature was in the teens, I was never cold because the woods blocked any wind.

Trail At Long Point State Park
For dinner, we were having a salmon recipe Evie had just found from the New York Times called Maple and Miso Sheet-Pan Salmon With Green Beans.  Evie prepped it and we then were able to relax in the living room with a glass of wine.  Around 6:30, she got busy and within 20 minutes we had a delicious dinner, probably the best salmon dinner we have ever had.  It might have been the salmon but also the recipe, especially the soy/miso/maple syrupy salmon.  This will become our new go-to salmon recipe.  We decided to watch A MAN MOST WANTED, a film that both of us thought we might have watched before. We watched it, however, because of Phillip Seymour Hoffman, one of our favorite actors.  It's a spy novel, based on a John LeCarre novel and yes, we had watched it a few years ago.  Afterward, we watched a Colbert, part of an episode from The Great British Baking Show, sandwiched between the breaking news of the FBI's inquiry into whether Trump was secretly working for Russia.  That's not breaking news; it's old news.  

Our daughter Jill and her husband Drew, both Kansas City Chief fans, flew to KC yesterday.  They will be going to the Chiefs game this afternoon with our son Tom and his wife Mary, mega Chief fans. 
Crazy Kansas City Chiefs Fans

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...