Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Warming And Wet


A Beautiful Tuesday Afternoon On The Lake

7:50
Both of us slept in until just before 8:00, a minor miracle.  It's a dreary morning here on the lake as the single digit temps have disappeared and it's now in the 30's and will stay there until Friday when it jumps back down to cold weather again. Despite the drizzle, a few fishing huts are out, braving the rain, enjoying the warm weather.

Ready To Augur This Morning
We began yesterday with a drive to Westfield at 8:00  because Evie was having an ultrasound at the local hospital.  While she was there, I drove to Mickey D's and had a coffee and a breakfast sandwich rather than sitting in the waiting room.  She wasn't done until 9:30 and since she had to fast, we stopped for a coffee.

It was strange being home in the morning, no yoga, so I hardly knew what to do with myself.  I ended up trying to sync my ewallet, an app that saves passwords with my phone to no avail.  I finally ended up emailing the maker of the app for help.  It should be easy but nothing on a computer seems easy for me.  Lunch was easy, just heat up the leftover beef stew and mashed potatoes in the microwave and I had a tasty lunch.  I watched FNL's and Dillon lost the state championship in the closing seconds.  I guess you cannot win them all, even on a TV soap.

Fishing, Late Afternoon
We both did little the rest of the afternoon, reading, napping, watching TV and meditating on what to do about dinner.  At 4:00, I went out to cross country ski on the lake but the wind was bitter, the snow was too deep, making it hard to ski easily.  So I stayed on the groomed roads, went through the campground and home.  I was out for forty minutes but was surprised that the 22º weather was not bad. 

A Happy Gal
When I returned home, Evie was chanting beers, steak and fries so I guess we were going to Steener's for their Tuesday night special, two Delmonico steaks, and fries for twenty bucks.  It's becoming our go to place during the week.  We found our favorite seats, at the corner of the bar. We ended up talking with a couple of interesting guys, both locals and snowmobilers.  One told us about the good old days when he towed a kayak behind his snowmobile from Bemus to Mayville, a wild ride. Our steak dinners were the best, tasty and done to perfection so I guess we will keep coming back.  The fries were great as well.  We were home by 8:00, in time to watch some Colbert and start a new season of The Great British Baking Show

By the way, I forgot to mention that two guys fell through the lake while fishing, one off of the Chautauqua Institution's bell tower.  I guess the lake becomes dangerous when either geese or swans gather and settle for the night, weakening the lake.  Both were able to pull themselves out but it was scary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...