Wednesday, January 9, 2019

A Touch Of White


8:32
Well, Evie beat me up this morning as I slept in until 7:10. Whoopee.  Last night, despite the winter storm warning, we received maybe two inches of snow if that, perhaps more to come over the next twenty-four hours.  Outside, it's a mass of gray, clouds and lake, with an occasional patch of white along the shoreline, with seagulls circling over the lake.

Yesterday was another Chautauqua gray day except for a few minutes of sunshine in the morning.  It was enough to get me out on the lake for a paddle although it quickly started to drizzle as I got as far as Sandy Bottom, so I turned around, headed back, dodging ice floes and the rain let up of course.  Tuesday is my day off from yoga and it always feels special, not that I don't like yoga but that I have the luxury of not having to do anything, like weekends.  So to be honest, I don't remember much of doing anything other than putting together a soup I came across that included quinoa, a grain I first tasted when I visited Peru for a couple of weeks with my good friend Senor and some students from Reserve.  It was fairly easy, tasted like almost any vegetable soup except it had some gains of quinoa in it.  Evie, for once, also seemed to enjoy a morning of leisure and got a few things done in the blue room but it still needs some work.

Before we knew it, it was lunchtime so Evie made me a quesadilla with tomatoes, cheese, and avocados and I helped myself to a bowl of my soup and I was happy.  I finally finished up Netflix's NARCOS and now must find another series to watch.  There are lots of choices, of course, so I am not worried.  I did notice that Amazon Prime has just added FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS, a series I rewatched a year ago but just as I was getting into Season Three, Netflix got rid of it.  So I may start it up again.

Since I finished my Natchez, MS novel by Greg Ailes, I picked up the newest Bosch and Ballard novel by Michael Connelly, DARK SACRED NIGHT.  So far so good and adding a female detective, Renee Ballard, allows Connelly, clearly influenced by the #Metoo movement, to include the prejudice females put up with in police departments.  I napped then took off for the Chautauqua Institution, to get in a walk and it started to drizzle as I walked down to the lakefront, cutting short my walk.  And like my morning paddle, when I turned around, headed back to the car, the rain let up.

The Rushing Creek At The Chautauqua Institution
I was home by 4:30 and Evie asked me if I would rather have pizza for dinner rather than pancakes, so I said pizza and drove over to Bemus and picked up a pizza for our dinner, making it easy for both of us, no prepping for Evie, few dishes for me.

We ate our pizza, watching The Great English Baking show, although anxious to hear Trump's thoughtful, sensitive, carefully crafted, and emphatic 10-minute talk on TV.  It was enough to make us return to The Great English Baking Show, then to Stephen Colbert for a laugh, a welcome antidote to Trump's words.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...