Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Waking To The Honking Of Geese


7:03
I woke at 6:15 not only to the honking of geese and I also went to bed last night to their honking.  And to my surprise, we received four or five inches of wet snow during the night and it's still blowing now at 7:00.  We may get six to eight inches more over the next 24 to 36 hours and it's not even December yet!!

7:30
Yesterday was the end of the big melt as the yard and most of the driveway clear of snow except for the piles made by the snow plow.  The temperatures were in the 40's and it drizzled on and off most of the day.  It was too windy to kayak, so I did little other than have my coffee and finish the blog before driving off to Lakewood for yoga class.  Before leaving, however, we made up a shopping list for Wegman's, mostly because I woke thinking of pork chops and sauerkraut, so that was going to be our dinner.  Yoga was good and I was glad to be back in class after a Thanksgiving hiatus.  Afterward, I stopped for a coffee before my shopping at Wegman's.  It was surprisingly crowded, as many, like me, probably had not shopped since the day before Thanksgiving.  I stocked up on all the staples, knowing we might be snowed in till Thursday.

When I got home, Evie was up and about, doing her usual and had my lunch planned, BLT's and the last of the leftover corn chowder.  I, of course, thought it was a good idea, so I was happily ensconced in the TV room, watching the series, Jack Ryan, eating my lunch by 12:45.  The rest of the afternoon went too quickly as I napped and read some before going outside since there was a brief halt to the rain.  I had not finished cleaning out my garage so that I could park my Honda in it, so I finished that, putting things away for next Spring.  And because I had not had a chance to mulch the final dropping of the leaves from our willow and tulip tree, I  got out my trusty old rake and worked for an hour gathering the wet leaves into a couple of barrels and taking them up the hill to the wood pile.  I actually had to take off my jacket because it was warm enough to work up a sweat.  I finally filled the bird feeders and was done with it all by 5:00, just as it was getting dark.

This Morning's Bird Feeder
When I came in, Evie was searing the pork chops, adding sauerkraut and tomatoes and baking it in the oven until dinner time.  We relaxed by the fire with a glass of wine for an hour or so, listening to the day's news before Evie plated out dinner, already made except for my microwaving of Wegman's smashed red potatoes.  I have to have mashed potatoes with my pork and sauerkraut.  Dinner was exceptional, as we both really enjoyed it, the comfort food for an increasingly cold and snowy night. We watched another episode of MY BRILLIANT FRIEND, then watched the first two hours of John LeCarre's novel, THE LITTLE DRUMMER GIRL.  Like his novels, it's dense and hard to follow at first but we like it.  I am reading THE ROOSTER BAR, by John Grisham, an easy read, funny, and very contemporary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...