Saturday, November 17, 2018

More Of The Same


7:13

Kayak In The Snow

Ready To Paddle
I was up at 6:15, made the coffee, walked carefully outside to get the paper and have been sitting on the couch, reading the NYTimes, listening to NPR, as morning slowly arrives.  It's gray on gray, of course, the temperature just above freezing so the snow is starting to melt, turning to slush.  It's almost 8:00 as I finish writing the blog, a gaggle of Canadian geese are floating in front of our house. 

Geese In The Morning
I am contemplating a paddle but it's still a depressing gray out so I might forget it.  At least, it's a windless morning.  And the solitary paddle was great, the silence occasionally was broken by gunshots, as deer season started this morning

Kayak Morning

Ice sickles

Ice Breaker
Yesterday as I mentioned, we woke up to six or seven inches of snow.  I was outside shoveling and clearing snow off the car by 7:15, making sure we would have no trouble getting out of our street.  Earlier, Shane had cleared the street and a section of our parking area which helped.  I then finished my breakfast, the blog, said aloha to Evie and drove off to a good yoga class with Julie.  Since we had decided we were going out for dinner for the first time since Evie's operation, I had no need to do any shopping so I stopped at Ryders for coffee and talked with Dave, the resident seer, for 15 minutes.  I then drove home on wet but not icy streets, to a house having been clearly organized and cleaned, as Evie had been busy.  She is slowly getting her mojo back.

A Solitary Grebe, A Deep Diver
For lunch, Evie had made me up a plate of leftover butter chicken, roasted veggies and rice so all I had to do was microwave it.  I watched more of The Sinner, not sure as to whether I like it or not but I stick with it.  I then finished up my Gabriel Allon novel and started a new one by Greg Illes, another tome of six or seven hundred pages.  He's good and this is the fourth or fifth I have read by him, most set in Natchez, Mississippi.  After a nap and a short walk through the neighborhood where I checked out the work on our neighbor's house, which is now up on blocks.  Guys were working beneath it, slowly building the foundation of cement blocks, cold and wet work. When I came home, I made myself some Turkish tea, grabbed a couple of cookies and my book, and enjoyed the late afternoon until it was time to go out for dinner.

Evie wanted to go to the Viking Club, a 15-minute drive, so we left just before 6:00.  Roads were wet but not icy and we easily found a place to park because the club was not very busy.  We found a seat at the bar on a surprisingly slow night.  We had a couple of beers, talked with Jeff, the bartender, and Doug, another friend before we decided it was too empty to enjoy a dinner.  So after a couple of beers and popcorn, we skipped dinner, the fish fry, and went home.  Evie made us salami sandwiches, with mayo, mustard and pickles, and that was good enough. We watched the second episode of another Australian series called Janet King.  It's on Acorn TV.  It's not great but we will stick with it I think.  We watched Colbert to end the night before going up to read for a bit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...