Tuesday, November 6, 2018

A Howling Wind, Choppy Lake, Overcast Skies, And Rain


7:53

Long Point And A Rough Lake
It's 7:30, gray dominates the outdoors sky and lake, as the wind pounds the canvas curtains and bird feeders.  There's a wind advisory for the next twenty-four hours, with the wind coming from the southeast which is rare.

9:00

Clearing Up
I returned to the groove yesterday and it felt good.  Although I did not get in a paddle because of the wind and choppy lake, I did make it to Yin Yoga at 9:30.  It was another good class, smaller because of the season.  After class, I went to the Ryders Cup for coffee and eggs although the price of a dozen has gone from two bucks a year ago to $3.85 yesterday.  I think I will be buying my eggs at Wegman's from now on, cheapskate that I am.  Evie had put together an eclectic list which took me quite a while to accomplish.  It's nice, however, to have a full refrigerator, freezer, and pantry so we will not have to shop for at least a day or two.

By the time I got home, it was 12:30 and after we put away the groceries, Evie made me broiled cheese and tomato sandwiches to go along with the Indian soup she made on Saturday.  I am a lucky boy to have such a good wife.  Evie has been a good girl, avoiding anything strenuous, taking it easy but making sure to get in a short walk every hour or two, as recommended by the surgeons. I took a brief nap which is becoming too common.  I like my naps but not cat naps.  Around 3:00 however, I was unaccountably worried about the leaves in the gutter, the fallen leaves on our neighbor's lawn.  So I got out the ladder and carefully removed the leaves from the gutters in the front of our house and one side.  It's not hard but I know that ladders are dangerous for guys my age so I took extra care.  I then powered up the lawn mower, cut my neighbor's lawn but it made our lawn look shabby, covered with leaves,  so I ended up cutting ours as well.  I am becoming an obsessed lawn guy like Evie.  By 4:00, both lawns looked great, not so much so this morning.

I was playing with the idea of driving to Jamestown to see the district final volleyball game at Jamestown Community College.  A local team, Panama, won the state last year and are favored to win again so I thought it would be fun to watch.  So I took a quick shower, said aloha to Evie and made sure she had everything she needed and drove to Falconer.  I stopped at a local bar/restaurant called the Belle View which we both have liked.  It was empty when I arrived at 5:15 but shortly, in walked Nate, the chef at one of our favorite restaurants, Steener's Irish Pub.  He had the day off and had dropped his daughter off at a gymnastics class and was having a beer while she was in class.  We ended up have an interesting conversation about his becoming a cook, starting as a dishwasher at Guppy's Tavern 20 years ago.  I had a beer and crab cakes for dinner, enjoyed the conversation, told Nate how much we like Tuesday Steak Nights and made it to the volleyball game just as it started at 6:00.  Panama is not a very impressive looking group until they get on the court and play.

Panama Girls, 2017 State Champs
They won in three fairly close games and moved on to the Regionals.  It was a fun night.  On the way home, I stopped at Tim Horton's, picked up a couple of glazed donuts for Evie and was home by 8:00, to her surprise.  We stuck with the pundits until the tension of what today's elections mean got to us.  So we switched to HOUSE OF CARDS.  Evie could barely stay awake so she went up to bed at 9:00 and I watched the Cavs blow a sure victory in the final second, literally, then watched some NFL for 15 minutes before going up to bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...