Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Rain, Sleet, Snow, Ice


Kayak Morning
Paddling Along Woodlawn
I was up at 7:00 to an increasingly cold morning, and it will get down to the low teens tomorrow on Thanksgiving.  I walked out and picked up the paper in slush despite the fact it was 22º.  We may get a couple of inches of snow today and I assume the lake may start to freeze in some areas.  Well, it hasn't frozen yet although I had to paddle through ice pellets.  Still, it felt good to be out on the lake once again

7:38
Yesterday morning was great as I got to kayak in the snow though I was wet and cold by the time I got home.  I had to change and even take a shower to get warmed up so it was colder than I thought.  After breakfast and finishing up the blog, we worked at getting things ready for Jill's family as they arrive today, Wednesday.  After that, I felt like getting a coffee, so I thought I might as well return the returnables to the can man and I also stopped at Wegman's to pick up a few things and some beer for the holidays.  It was crazy, senior Tuesday and pre Thanksgiving.

When I returned home, Evie had been busy with prepping the turkey and making a few side dishes so all they need is to be heated up on Thanksgiving.  We are trying to get as much done ahead of time so that Thanksgiving Day will be more fun for everyone although Halle already is asking about what she and Evie can make/bake together.  For lunch, I had the leftover tas kebab with mashed potatoes and finally finished the Netflix series, The Sinner.  I did take a short nap, read some as both of us enjoyed the afternoon inside because of the inclement weather outside.  Around 3:30, we got the alert that all romaine should be thrown away because of fears of ecoli.  So I jumped in my trusty Subaru, raced to Wegmans, again, and was able to pick up three or four bags of butter lettuce and head lettuce, enough so we could have a salad the next couple of days.  Wegman's obviously had not gotten the news about the romaine, nor had the shoppers who were still buying it.  The odds of getting sick from it are probably the same as winning the lottery but why take a chance.

We did not want to fuss with a big dinner, so we heated up the leftover pizza and Evie made a great salad which was enough.  We watched Colbert, some breaking news then turned to Vice News for some 'real news' that was not breaking.  We ended the night with MY BRILLIANT FRIEND, the second episode.  We love the setting, family life in Naples in the 1950s but it's a bit slow like most European films.   They tend to linger on faces, on landscapes.   Fast and furious is not them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...