Saturday, September 1, 2018

Cloudy And Getting Warm


6:14
I was up at 5:45, to darkness, made the coffee, walked outside to see if we got any rain.  We didn't.  Sat down with my computer and waited for some color to show in the sky.  And now, at 6:47, whatever color there was is gone, just gray clouds and lake. And because it's Saturday, the beginning of a Labor Day weekend, boats are out, savoring the last weekend of summer for many weekenders. It's 9:00 and I just returned from a long paddle, over to Warner Bay, to Long Point, to Sandy Bottom and home.  And the strangest thing happened.  As I paddled along Long Point, I scared off a bevy of Canadian geese.  A bit later, I came across another bevy but as I came closer, they did not move until I passed within three feet of one and realized they were decoys, the blind was five yards away to my left. 

Geese Blind On Long Point
As far as I know, there have never been Canadian geese hunters on the lake until this morning.  In fact, I thought it was illegal to shoot them but when I looked it up, they have been moved from Schedule One to Schedule Five of the Wildlife Species Act, which means anyone can shoot them any time of the year without a license.  Fire on!

Kayak Morning South

Kayak Morning North
Friday began as usual, with a paddle, then a good yoga class with Julie.  She is always bringing something new to the class which I like. I stopped at Sav A Lot to pick up some libations for the weekend, then home.  I also joined Evie's labors on cleaning out closets.   I have mounds of tee shirts on dressers and tables, ones I want to throw away, ones for work, ones for yoga or going out.  It both feels good and is sad to throw out my John Kerry tee shirt.

Our Neighbor
Lunch was a salami and tomato sandwich and another episode of THE CODE, an import from Australia.  I then took it easy until 3:00 when I drove into Jamestown to pick up some CDs for Evie from WCA.  I stopped at Peterson's Fruit and Vegetable stand and picked up a basket of peaches, hoping for a peach crisp this weekend.  On my way out of Jamestown, I passed the Farm Fresh Foods store, with their in-house bakery. I wanted to get a couple of glazed donuts for Evie but they were out so I bought a couple of cake donuts instead and two cannolis for me. Health food.

Dahlia Among The Hydrageas
When I returned, Evie wanted to go for a boat ride before the weekenders arrived and the lake was calm, so we drove over to Bemus Point which was already hopping, The Fish's floating bar already filled with people.  We were home by 6:30 and hungry so Evie made a big salad, with chicken and hard boiled eggs, boiled a couple of ears of corn and we had an easy and tasty dinner.  We should eat this way more often.  And, we finally finished THE HANDMAID'S TALE although we did not realize we had two not one episode to go.  Evie called the ending, ready made for Season Three. Perfect timing because A PLACE TO CALL HOME, Season Six, just started streaming on ACORN TV.

One Of Many Nasturiums
We ended the night watching the new Prime Video series JACK RYAN, with Jim, from THE OFFICE.  It's pretty cheesy so far but I was stick with it.  Not much else to watch.  And I was happy to get back to THE OTHER WOMAN, by David Silva.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...