Sunday, September 30, 2018

Overcast And Wet

7:29

7:30

9:15
I was surprised to wake up to a wet morning, overcast sky after such amazing autumn days Friday and Saturday.  It's a chilly 48º, as guys were here at 6:30, ready to take out the dock next door.  The early bird gets the dock, I guess.  I was able to get in a good paddle, without getting wet.  I did not see a heron or wood duck, just cormorants, and mallards.  The dock guys around the lake were out early.  Jeremy, the guy we buy our corn from, also takes out docks, so he was out in Victoria, pulling in a dock with his wetsuit on.  I really admire him, growing his own  corn, selling it during July and August, and putting in and taking out docks in spring and fall.

Kayak Morning

Bringing In The Docks
Yesterday was the kind of day with its crisp temperature and sunshine that reminds many of football season, weekend markets, apple orchards, displays of pumpkins and mums and, of course, leaf raking and cutting the lawn.  Evie's back won't tolerate any lengthy car rides so we will enjoy the lake, get some things done and save our outings for another season.  I got in a great early paddle, came home and we finished up the blog, then started our weekly routine of getting trash ready to take to the Transfer Station.  It always amazes me how much trash two people can generate in a week.

When I returned from the Transfer Station,  I decided to make one of my favorite Turkish peasant dishes, kuru falsulye, basically a white bean stew with onions, Turkish spices, and tomato paste.  Easy right.  So I got out our Magic pot, threw in a pound of white beans, turned on the pressure cooker and in a half hour, the beans were ready to add to the sauteed onions, spices and tomato paste.  I then let it simmer for an hour or two, let it sit on the burner and put it in the refrigerator after it cooled.  Now I have lunch for the next few days.

The afternoon went quickly for both of us.  Evie ended up dozing in the yard, enjoying the sun, and I took a nap, read, and watched some football after my lunch of two leftover hot dogs.  Four dogs in less than 24 hours may be a bit too much even for me, a hot dog fan.  Around 3:30, I fired up the lawn mower, made Evie stay inside, and cut the lawn, knowing that we might get rain overnight and we did.  We were planning on going out for dinner somewhere Evie could stand but by 6:30, we were lazy, so Evie ordered us dinner from Andriaccio's, a local Italian restaurant, three plus miles away.  I picked it up and I had the chicken parm, good not great and Evie had an unappetizing meatball sub.  We ate dinner (with, of course, a huge salad), watching another outrageously funny Real Time With Bill Maher if you aren't a Trump supporter or religious. We ended the night with Colbert and I stayed up a bit longer watching Ohio State football.  They did not look good but I saw this morning that they had a late comeback to beat Penn State by a point.  I guess having grown up in Ohio has made me an Ohio State fan, like the Browns and Indians.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...