Tuesday, September 25, 2018

There Went Summer


6:58
For the first time, the past couple of days have made me realize summer's end.  This morning, especially, seems fall-like, with strong winds, overcast skies, a rough lake, and 56º.  I have no interest in getting out there to kayak but you never know.  As it gets lighter and lighter, however. the morning looks more and more inviting.  It was so I paddled over to Long Point, fighting the wind and rain, over to Sandy Bottom, and it stopped raining and calmed down on the way back to our house.  I am glad I went and I was definitely the only crazy out on the lake.  

Kayaking At 8:05

Never Tiring Of Heron Photos
Yesterday I decided to return to my routine, write my blog and head to yoga.  So after a short paddle on a windy, rough lake, I drove to yoga at 9:00.  The class was not as crowded as usual, the summer people have left but we still had 17 women and moi.  I could tell that I have not been to class in a couple of weeks but it felt good to lose myself in the stretches.  We were having leftover for dinner so there was no need for me to do any shopping but I stopped at my mechanics because I light came on in the car.  He reset it and said it was probably the change in the weather that set it off.  When I got home, Evie was talking to my sister, Ellen, and had written to Judy and Ray, one of the first couples that we befriended when we first got married.  Out of the blue Judy had decided to track us down, guessed at our address and sent a letter and photo of she and Ray.  They were our neighbors in Babbitt Garden Apartments in Euclid, Ohio, from 1965-1967 and like us, had a new baby.  It was fun to be in touch with them after, what, fifty years and they are planning a trip to Chautauqua in mid-October.

I was not very hungry after yoga so I made myself an omelet with feta cheese and it was just right and I watched more of the ' the week-long breaking news (Kavanaugh is accused of sexual impropriety)' with Evie.  We left for Mayville at 1:00 because Evie had an appointment with our PA because of a persistent cough and I wanted to get a flu shot.  That took a half hour.  We then stopped at the Board of Elections and Evie signed up for a mail-in ballot because she will be recovering from her back surgery in November and may not have been able to vote.  We ended our trip with a stop a Tops grocery, to get apples and a few other goodies, and stopped for corn at the Amish wagon in Mayville's park. 

When we got home, we were both whipped, so Evie went to the couch and I took a half hour nap, waking about 3:45, refreshed. So I decided because rain was predicted for the next couple of days, to cut the lawn.  Evie, of course, could not stay on the couch and watch so I fired up both mowers and we cut the lawn quickly, less than a half hour. And after cutting the lawn, I hauled two barrels of twigs up the hill to the wood pile. The lawn looks great this morning though the front yard is once again littered with deadfall from last night's heavy winds.

This Morning's Deadfall
Gray, Windy And Wet At 6:53 PM
We relaxed with a glass of wine as the wind picked up, the sky darkened and it started to rain.  At 6:30, Evie steamed the corn, heated up the leftover beef stroganoff and made a salad.  The stroganoff was even better last night, like many leftovers.  The corn was as good as we have had it this summer.  And we watched a couple of episodes of Showtime's political series, The Circus, then an episode of A Place to Call Home.  We finished the night with The View, a nice mixture of politics, talk show, and a soap opera.  Philistines are us.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...