Wednesday, September 19, 2018

A Special Day of Birthdays

Evie and Baby Tommy,  Honolulu, 1969

Tom and Mom, Chautauqua, 2015
A quiet, gray morning as my wife, Evie, celebrates her 74th birthday, our son Tommy, his 50th. It's amazing to think we have two children in their 50's, one more to follow next year. O, yea, and seven grandchildren, three grandsons in their 20's, four granddaughters in their teens, the good life.  Here at the lake, it's a  cool morning 61º, with the possibility of rain.  At the moment, it's overcast and looks as though it could rain on my paddle.  It didn't as I paddled for forty-five minutes on a choppy lake, making it difficult to use my binoculars and camera. I did watch a cormorant flapping his wings for five minutes, drying off I assume.  And, we are continually amazed at the beauty and singularity of our dahlias which is why we keep taking photographs of them. 

Kayak Morning

Cormorant Up Close
Yesterday was sunny and warm, a perfect September day, lots of sun and blue skies, a cooling breeze.  I got in an early paddle before we sat down and made up a shopping list for Wegman's.  I took off around 10:00, with my bike, parked it in Lakewood and took a forty-five-minute bike ride, to Celeron and back, cruising the Harbor Hotel grounds, before heading back to Lakewood.  I then went to Wegman's, a busy Tuesday because of the 5% discount for us seniors.  It always surprises me when Wegman's runs out of something; yesterday it was cabbage.  It makes me wonder if there is a run on cabbage or a late delivery.  Either way, I won't be having coleslaw with my fish this week unless I find it somewhere else.


I was home around noon, in time to watch a show and have lunch, a sub sandwich I picked up at Wegman's, making it an easy lunch, no hassle, just grab a quarter of the sandwich and put it on a plate.  Even I can do that.  I then read some, finished my book and started a couple of others but not sure which I will stick with.


We took it easy, what else, in the afternoon, sitting outside in our side yard some, enjoying the sun and breeze.  We also, of course, followed the never-ending brouhaha over the Supreme Court nominee and his accuser of attempted rape.  Enough is enough so we turned it off and went to FoxNews where they were talking about the four personality types.  Interesting.  I had a glass of wine as Evie got dinner ready.  She breaded and fried up some eggplant slices, then made sandwiches, with tomatoes, mayo and mozzarella cheese and put them in the oven.  We ate dinner around 6:30 and I had three sandwiches they were so tasty and Evie's salad was just right, with Gala apple slices and red cabbage, for a first this fall.  We watched a decent movie on Netflix called THE LAND OF STEADY HABITS.  It's decent, not great, with no violence or serial killers.  We then watched a couple of episodes of Cheers from the 1st season and they hold up well, as we filled the room with our laughter.  What great writing, pitch-perfect acting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...