Thursday, December 7, 2017

Snow Is Coming?

7:30 
It's 6:50, still pitch black outside and no snow yet on the ground.  There have been snow alerts for the last 36 hours and yet, there's no snow.  I assume it will eventually arrive late morning but it's supposed to be an accumulation of only two or three inches.  Still, I am looking forward to our first snow of the season.  It did, however,  snow some a few weeks ago when we were on our trip.  It's windy and a chilly 26º.
Trumpeter Swans Arrive
I did make it to yoga yesterday, a new teacher substituting for Jen.  It's always fun to see how different each teacher's class is and this was no exception.   Class began with her rubbing an analgesic called China Gel on our shoulders and back.  We smelled like a boys' locker room.  She has a different way of teaching, very talky and not afraid to touch.  I was doing a forward bend and she came up behind me and gave me a 20-second bear hug, pulling my shoulders back, to further extend the pose.  It surprised me enough to laugh out loud.  Anyways, the class was fine and she ended it by spraying rose water on us as we began our savasana.

After class, I knew Evie was going out to lunch with her friend Barb, to the Seezurh House and would not be home until after 2:00.  So I did something I rarely do, I browsed at Walmart.  I picked up a few items in toiletries that were much cheaper than at Wegman's as well as some black beans because they were on sale.  It always amazes me to walk through the store because you literally do not have to shop at any other store because they have everything, from clothes to tires, to kayaks, to gardening stuff, to food.  And it's fun to people watch.

As I expected, the house was empty but Evie had made me some tuna salad for lunch to go along with a final bowl of cauliflower soup.  And I watched another episode of DARK which I am liking more and more but I won't even try to explain what is happening.  I will just say that it plays with time.  Evie got home around 2:30 as I was napping.

Kayak Afternoon

Late Fall On The Lake
Around 4:00, the wind calmed down, the sky lightened a  bit so I decided to kayak, a good choice  And though it was cold, I had better gloves on and the absence of wind made for a pleasant paddle, down to Sandy Bottom and back.

The Lake Begins To Freeze
I noticed the lake was icing up in a corner of Victoria and some waterfowl remained, a raft of coots as well as Canadian geese.  I did see a hawk but he avoided my camera and I heard the chinging sound of a kingfisher.

Coots Remain
Our neighbors, John and Maryanne were also out on their shoreline, shoveling the mounds of muck that accumulated along their shoreline this fall, putting it in a cart and taking it back to their woods, a gargantuan task. They were also upset because styrofoam was mixed in with the muck a result of a floating dock "leaking."

Around 6:15, we drove over to the Viking Club for dinner and we were glad to see some of our friends were there.  We spent most of the evening talking with, Barb, and Dana from Bemus even though Barb and Evie had gone out to lunch yesterday afternoon.  We gambled some but had no luck although Dana was not going to walk away without winning something.  When they left, we talked with Doug and Dawn, both strong supporters of the club who volunteer for various duties.  And as we were talking with them we struck up a conversation with a guy from Sugar Grove, in Pennsylvania.  He was mentioning the festivities this Friday night, including fire pits, singing, fireworks and at 7:00, he opens his business for anyone and serves Tom and Jerry's, a drink from my childhood.  We talked with him for 15 minutes, mostly about his trips across the US in his RV as well as our trip this past month.  He was really a good guy, fun to talk with and was serious about our coming to his Tom and Jerry party.  We just may depending on the weather despite the fact it's in Pennsylvania.  We got home just after 9:00, happy that our evening turned out to be such fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...