Friday, December 15, 2017

Single Digits


7:01

7:31

8:01
I was up around 6:40, to 9º as I opened the door to take a photograph, and a sky just starting to show some color.  The lake looks frozen, snow-covered as if I could walk across to Long Point.  To the north, however, there's some open water.

Woodlawn Mail Boxes 
Yesterday was another snow day for Evie as she had to clear our driveway again and clean off the car before she could get out of the drive.  My day began as usual early, no kayaking, alas, coffee and I felt like a good breakfast, not the usual healthy stuff.  So Evie fried up some bacon, chopped it into pieces and added it to the scrambled eggs, as I mentioned a few days ago, my current favorite breakfast.  Evie had a hair appointment with Jaret in Lakewood at noon, so she finished up the chocolate chip cookies she had started on Wednesday.  She left around 11:40, leaving me all alone!

Tufted Titmouse
Because of a big breakfast, I was not that hungry so all I had for lunch was another bowl of spinach yogurt soup.  I am getting bored with TV, especially the incessant politics, so I did some channel surfing and started watched one of the great rock documentaries, The Band's The Last Waltz (1976).  I had seen bits and pieces before but it was a real treat to see the likes of The Band on stage with Muddy Waters, Neil Diamond, Van Morrison, Joanie Mitchell, Neil Young, Ringo Starr and Bob Dylan, to name a few.  It was mesmerizing and filmed by the great Martin Scorcese.

Up Close and Blurry
I then went upstairs and took a nap, falling asleep reading my John Sandford, as I decided to put the Longmire aside.  I thought I was reading THE DARK HORSE but must have been at the end of the novel, reading the first chapter of the next book.  When I got up, I came downstairs and listened to some music rather than the news, how novel.  I listened to Adele having forgot about her.  What a voice.  And I listened to our current favorite group, The  National.  Evie got home around 3:30, had little trouble with the roads and had stopped at my new favorite store, Walmart, to pick up a few things.  She relaxed after her shopping and I went for a short walk up our hill.  It was beautiful out, trees frosted with snow, about a foot on the ground.  It made me want to get out my cross-country skis.

Around 5:30, Evie roasted the chicken breasts (bone in, skin on), made a salad and relaxed with me in the living room until about 6:30 when we got hungry.  We also had some roasted butternut squash which she had roasted earlier in the day.  It was like eating candy.  And we were anxious to finish the second year of A PLACE TO CALL HOME, melodrama at its best.  So we watched all three episodes, lots of drama of course and the final episode said The End.  I knew there were a couple of more seasons so I looked it up on Wikipedia and found out that, yes, the series was canceled after two years but a pay for view channel picked it up, changed the final episode and filmed a couple of more seasons.  So after Christmas, when we come back to the lake, we will order the third season through the Chautauqua Library system.

We ended the night, with what is becoming our routine, with Stephen Colbert and Vice News.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...