Thursday, December 14, 2017

16º As Lake Begins To Freeze


8:45

9:08
Fish Out Of Water
It's 8:30 and Evie and I are sitting here nice and cozy, fireplace blazing, sipping coffee, warm and secure as the wind howls, snowflakes fall, the lake freezes and Long Point disappears. We received a couple more inches overnight, so Evie better get out there and start shoveling.

Yesterday was cold and snowy, like the previous day where there were many accidents on the area roads, mostly because of idiots going too fast.  #394 was closed on Tuesday for a couple of hours in North Harmony because of an accident.  Evie had a rough start to the morning. 

Snow Shovel Girl
She went out to shovel our parking area, something she enjoys doing and was out for almost an hour.  When she came in, she realized she must have dropped the keys to our car somewhere.  Panic.  So I got out the garden rakes and both of us worked through the snow drifts created by shoveling.  I finally went in to order another key from the Subaru dealer, tres expensive.  As I was finishing, Evie walked in with a look of triumph on her face.  She had found the keys.  Inshallah (as Allah wills). 

Red Bellied Woodpecker
Earlier, Evie had put together a list for Wegman's so after her morning fiasco, we drove off to Lakewood, stopping to fill up the Subaru, something I like do during snowstorms, keep the gas tank at full.  We then hit Wegman's; Evie shopped and I sat in their garden cafeteria, sipping coffee and reading on my Kindle.  We left forty-five minutes later, my wallet depleted (when comparing what we bought to what it cost), and we took our time driving home, stopping at the bank to pick up some cash from the ATM.  It was time for lunch when we got home, so Evie heated up the leftover chicken piccata and a bowl of spinach and yogurt soup.  I am tired of my series, DARK, repetitious and dark (surprise), so I watched Sports Center on ESPN. 

Goldfinch and Junco
The rest of the afternoon was typical for both of us, me napping upstairs, Evie puttering.  I also finished my John Sanford novel and began my sixth Longmire novel, THE DARK HORSE.  Mid-afternoon, Evie got out the ingredients for a new chocolate chip recipe, this was with peanuts.  She's always trying to find the perfect one.  They are good but I don't think she likes them enough to make them again. 

For dinner, we had decided on spaghetti with meatballs, fairly easy, as Evie had made the meatballs and sauce earlier.  I am usually in charge of the pasta, so I threw half boxes of two different kinds of pasta into the boiling water only to realize one took 3 minutes, the other 9.  All I could do is hope the 3 minute was not moosh when the other pasta was finally tender.  Surprisingly, it was not bad, perhaps because the sauce made up for the pasta.  We watched the Dems raving about Doug Jones victory, some Vice News, with a moving segment on Newtown, five years later, a must watch.  Both of us were near tears.  And, we are deep into the second season of A PLACE TO CALL HOME.  By the end of it, with its surprising turn, we had enough and went up to bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...