Friday, December 29, 2017

Blue, Blue 6 Degrees


Artistic Woodlawn 

7:20
It's almost 7:00 and I have been up for close to an hour.  I did open the back door and was literally smacked in my face by the cold.  And it's going to stay this way for the next week, perhaps longer.  It's too cold out to really enjoy any winter activities at least for us, like cross-country skiing, hiking or snowshoeing.  So we will just stay snuggled in our home and drink. 

First Ice Fishermen Of The Year
Yesterday I was determined to start my winter routine with a yoga class even though I did not much feel like it.  The day began with breakfast, however, at the Bemus Point Inn with Jack, as the rest have headed to Florida or were driving home to the lake.  Yoga was not till 10:00, so I came home from breakfast, finished the blog before driving to Lakewood.  Many had the same idea as me, start the post-Christmas off right, as yoga was packed, twenty-two of us.  It was a Yin class, so there was not much difficulty, just an emphasis on connective tissues.  I enjoyed the class and it was nice to see some of the regulars again since I have not been to class since early December. 

When I drove home, our parking area was freshly shoveled as Evie had been busy despite the cold and had cleared it.  What a woman.  It's tempting to go outside for a short walk but I decided to stay in and relax with a book.  Around 1:00, I had lunch, a bagel, ramen and some sardines, not your typical lunch. Evie was busy catching up on the laundry and getting the house by in order so I decided to take a nap since I was up early. 

Midafternoon, the weather gods began predicting another lake effect show for Chautauqua County, up to 15 inches of snow for today and Saturday.  This morning, however, it seems to have changed.  But yesterday, we decided to shop around 3:30 at Wegman's and stock up for the weekend in case the storm did materialize.   Evie planned meals through New Year's day, imputing all the goodies into her Wegman's app and we were off.  The store, as usual, was busy but we were organized, as we both took carts.  We spent mucho bucks for very little food.  I wonder how families manage with prices that seem to just increase each time we visit the store. 

We quickly put things away and Evie prepped our dinner, putting the cauliflower into the oven to roast, heating up the scalloped potatoes and ham casserole and making a salad.  Once that was done, the two of us enjoyed relaxing with a glass of wine, the sky darkening, the ice fishermen heading in, the end to a very cold day.  The scalloped potatoes and ham was better than Wednesday night and we watched a movie we had put off watching for some reason, THE QUEEN.  It was a good movie to watch, no violence, no vulgarity and it surprised both of us after watching THE CROWN because it covered an unlikely week in the Queen's life, the week that Diana tragically died in a traffic accident, the aftermath and the Crown's response to her death.  We then watched the first episode of a new series on Netflix, THE INDIAN DETECTIVE.  Unfortunately, it seemed silly and not very compelling.  I may try one more episode but I doubt it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...