Sunday, December 31, 2017

Less Than Zero


7:19

7:47

7:48 
When I got up at 6:15, I knew it was supposed to be frigid today but not below zero.  I was hesitant to even step outside to take a photograph because our indoor/outdoor thermometer showed 8 below at 7:00 and just now, at 7:47, it shows -12º, scary. When I did step outside at 7:00, I could hear voices but not see anyone, obviously, fishermen walking out on the ice to fish, Chautauqua lake crazies. It's now 7:22, light enough to count nine hardy guys out on the lake, enjoying an early morning fishing.

Hardy Chautauquans

Chatting In Below Zero Temperatures
Yesterday was also mostly in the single digits but warm enough to get outside and do some shoveling.  Once we were up and conscious, having had our coffee, listened to NPR, we decided to get busy in the kitchen.  Evie started it off with a recipe her dental hygienist loved, a baked potato soup.  It's fairly easy, so as she was making that I got inspired by a recipe I found on the internet for a Gateau Au Yaourt (yogurt cake),

Half Of Gateau Yaourt
So as the soup was simmering, Evie and I put together the ingredients for the cake, plopped it in the oven and in a half hour, we had a tasty soup and a fine yogurt cake, for my afternoon tea and after dinner with fruit and cream.  Not a bad start to a snowbound morning.  Around 10:30, I did what all men seem to do, took out the trash and drove off to the Transfer Station, tipping one of the guys twenty bucks for helping me out during the year.  And I was happy to see the New York Times explain why it's always men's job to take out the trash, even for liberals like moi.  If interested see, the article below:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/29/style/who-takes-out-the-trash.html

When I got back from the Transfer Station, I got out the shovel and spent about 25 minutes shoveling at least six inches of snow from the previous evening as well as morning,  In fact, it was snowing while I shoveled so that the car was already covered with a layer of snow by the time I finished shoveling.  Evie had lunch ready for me when I got in and doctored up the baked potato soup by putting some chopped ham in the bowl, adding the soup and scallions and cheddar cheese.  That's all I needed to fill me up, no sandwiches, no bread.  I watched some basketball but soon got bored so I returned to my couch, to read the most recent David Ignatius novel and take a nap.

Bitter Cold And White Out On Saturday Afternoon
Since we returned on Wednesday, Evie has had to fill the two bird feeders three of four times.  Outside our kitchen window the past few days, we have had hordes of finches, sparrows, occasional juncos and woodpeckers feeding at the feeders.  I counted at least 20 feeding a one time, and when frightened, at least 50 take off, many feeding on the ground.  They are getting used to us looking out the window as well, rarely taking off if we walk up to the window to take a photograph. I think I may easily go through more than a hundred pounds of sunflower seeds this winter.

Only A Couple Of Feet
We decided on an early cocktail hour, so we got out the cheese around noon to soften and by 5:00, we were sitting on our couches, sipping Manhattans, enjoying my Grandpa Camplejohn's favorite cheese, Stilton, watching the snow hit the spotlight, and listening to an Apple Music station playing Smooth Jazz Tribute, taking tunes by Otis Redding, Barry White, Marvin Gaye, and Al Green and giving them a jazz take, mostly with a saxophone and a back up drum and bass. Kinda of elevator music like as we listened to it more but fun.  We had no worry about dinner, just leftovers from Friday night's dinner, rice, chicken thighs and a salad.

Evie's Tribute To The Holidays
Around 7:00, we plated our leftovers and watched some TV the rest of the night although we started a couple of movies but stopped, deciding we would rather watch another episode of BROADCHURCH.  I also watched some football since Evie went up to bed early, tired from our relaxing day.  I soon joined her, looking forward to my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...