Saturday, September 2, 2017

The Beginning Of The End Of Another Chautuauqua Summer


7:11
7:24

7:24

8:21
I was up at 6:45, an interesting sky of a vast gray cloud bank, then some sunshine on the lake as the sun breaks through a partly cloudy sky.  It's 50º, another morning with a southerly wind, a ruffled lake and we may get some rain later in the day.  Remnants of Harvey?

Yesterday was one of those days that pass without having realized that the day was almost over.  It began, as usual, breakfast with the guys at the Bemus Point Inn, always fun.  When I got home, Evie and I finalized the blog.  We then decided that I would drive to Lakewood, to do some shopping and go to the bank.  So I stopped first for a coffee at Ryder's Cup, then the bank, then on to Sam's Club to return a float we had bought early in June.  It's amazing how most stores will take back anything we have bought, even if a month or two later.  And even though that was all I needed, it's hard to get out of Sam's without buying something else, like ten pairs of socks for ten bucks, a bargain I could not pass up.  I then did a quick run through Wegman's and drove home, getting back around 12:30.  I had bought some bagels at Wegman's and I was looking forward to another bagel with cream cheese and a tomato for lunch.  And since I had enough of the 16 bean soup, I made myself an unhealthy bowl of ramen.  I wish they would come up with a healthy instant ramen because it's tasty and easy to make.

Evie had organized a few things around the house in the morning but around 1:00, she realized it was a perfect temperature to be out on the dock, enjoying the sun.  So she stayed out there until 3:00 when it clouded up.  I stayed in and read and took a nap.  We did not do much the rest of the day although I did give my Outback a quick wash, trying to keep it clean from the detritus from the pine and willow trees.  And Evie decided I was looking a bit ragged, again, and gave me a quick hair cut so I look presentable.

We had in mind an easy but good dinner.  Evie made potato pancakes out of the leftover mashed potatoes from the night before, fried some eggs, made a salad and heated up the broccoli and we had dinner.  Fried eggs and mashed potato cakes are a favorite from my childhood.  We watched a movie, GET OUT which had been sitting on our shelf for at least a month.  It's more a satire on race and quite funny at times then a horror film although it professes to be both. It was worth watching but I was surprised that it was not that scary or perhaps I am growing up.

We are on the road today for a wedding so it's time to get out my only formal wear, khakis, blue sport coat, button down shirt, tie and dress shoes, my uniform for the thirty-five years that I taught at Reserve.  No suit as the last and only one I bought was in high school from Richman Brothers, for a Homecoming dance in 1960.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...