Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Seventy Four And Many More


7:15

7:31
It's 9:15 and I have just gotten back from over an hour of kayaking, down to the end of Whitney Bay, that's north, and back, running into a couple who I have met before who lived just our side of Sandy Bottom.  They are out kayaking quite often as well.  I was up, as usual, around 6:30, to another morning of amazing sunrise.

Another Kayak Morning
Yesterday was another car problem day.  It started out well with a kayak paddle, then the blog and a leisurely morning where we didn't have anything.  We had not been to Wegman's in almost a week so we made up a list and I went out to the Outback because I was going to take it in for an oil change and safety check.  The battery was dead, alas, no Outback. I think one of the interior lights was inadvertently turned on when we were either packing or unpacking the car from our road trip to Akron.  So I took the Honda to Wegman's, stopping for coffee and eggs at Ryders, then on to Wegman's. It was a Tuesday, 5% off day for Senior Citizens, but not as crowded as usual because the season has ended at the Chautauqua Institution and most of the residents have headed home.

Cormorant Takes Off
When I got home, the Triple A guy arrived and put a charge on my car's battery and viola, it started.  I left it on for about 20 minutes then took it out for a short drive to charge the battery.  And I made sure the ceiling light near the tailgate was on off.  I am a slow learner.  I bought a sub from Wegman's so I had a great lunch and the soup Evie was making, from a recipe we found in the NYTimes, a spinach, and mushroom soup, with shallots, cinnamon, coriander, and cumin was not ready.  So I had a filling lunch as I watched another episode of FNL.  We had no plans to do much, so we just took it easy, with some dock time, watching the news about DACA and then, around 4:00, getting ready for a cocktail party at our neighbor's house at 5:00.

Neighborhood Gathering At Pat And Dave's
It was fun because we got to see some of our neighbors from Victoria who we do not get to see very often.  One of the purposes of the gathering was to hear about the Chautauqua Institution's future from Jeff Follansbee, the Director of the Chautauqua Foundation.  He gave us a picture of a flourishing  Institution, with lots of goals that need to be met over the next ten years, both financial and cultural.  It is the major attraction of Chautauqua County along with the lake.  We stayed until around 7:15, talking about our summers, kids, and grandchildren.

We were not particularly hungry when we returned home so Evie heated up the soup and made a couple of tomato and avocado sandwiches for dinner which was perfect.  We watched the usual, some Vice News and then channel surfed between MSNBC, CNN, and Fox.  We were both tired so we went up to bed early.  And I finished my Longmire book and started on a new Don Winslow novel.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...