Wednesday, September 13, 2017

That Morning Sky



6:14 

6:24

6:25

6:46

7:05 

I was up before 6:00, alas, not that I wanted to be.  I guess I was just excited about a short road trip to bike Presque Isle State Park, in Erie, about a forty-five-minute drive.  I have an annual doctor's appointment in Erie so it's always easy to go for a ride.  No kayaking this morning as I will be on the road by 8:00.

Yesterday began with a paddle, something I hope to do most mornings this fall as long as I am taking a hiatus from yoga.  I ran into our neighbors from Victoria, out early like me because it was such a lovely, calm morning on the lake.  When I got home, Evie was in the kitchen, already starting to prep for our dinner tonight with our neighbors, Joyce, Bill, and Pat.  She needed some ripe peaches for a cake she was making, so she gave Peterson's Farm a call and they said they had them.  So I jumped in my car and drove to Peterson's picking up the peaches, some tomatoes and onions.  I also stopped at Mike's Nursery to price some hydrangea bushes as now is the time buy as well as plant and we want a couple more.  Now, however, there are so many varieties that it's difficult to decide...we are leaning towards a newer variety called Pistachio but it's not cheap.

When I got home, the kitchen was a mess, as Evie had been busy getting things ready for dinner.  She likes to have just about everything done before our company arrives which means a good part of the morning is gone.  I helped out some by doing up the dishes, cleaning the front and back porches before going outside and making sure my new bike rack fit my Outback and was easy to attach.  It was and I am ready to ride.

About 1:00, I had lunch, black bean soup I made last week and a bagel with cream cheese and tomatoes.  Bagels...what a great invention.  I then watched some TV and Evie took advantage of the afternoon by going out on the dock to enjoy the sun.  It was a perfect day on the lake, but we were having boat problems so we could not go out for a cruise.

Around 4:30, we both tidied up the living room and Evie finished a few things for our dinner.  Our neighbors arrived at 6:00 and we were able to sit out on our front porch and were not bothered by the lake flies.

Porch Selfie
Evie had made fried eggplant strips for an appetizer with a tomato sauce which were devoured in between sips of beer or wine.  As we were enjoying the late afternoon, Chris, my boat guy, switched the prop on our boat and test drove it to make sure it was good to go.  Dinner was great as always, pork tenderloin with a mustard cream sauce, strawberry salad with poppy seed dresssing, corn and rice and rolls.  We sat at the table talking about the end of summer, what we were going to be doing this winter.  For dessert, Evie had made a peach upside down cake, topped with creme fraiche and heavy cream beaten together.  It was a special ending to a fun evening.

Late Summer Supper
Both neighbors will be heading home for the winter in a couple of weeks so it was a good time to have them over. After they left, Evie still had energy so we stood at the kitchen sink, doing up the dishes, like a good couple, reviewing our dinner and day.

I think going out tonight for dinner might sound nice to Evie.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...