Friday, September 15, 2017

More Morning Fog


6:42

7:22

The fog is slowly dissipating now, at 6:57.  When I got up at 5:50, I could hardly see past our yard. Our heron just walked along our lake wall, looking for breakfast, his long neck moving forward and back.  It's 57º and it looks like a couple of sunny days.  It's 7:20 and fog still obscures much of the lake but I am tempted to kayak anyways.  I can stay near the docks,  rather than venturing out into the middle of the lake.  It's 8:30 and I am back from my paddle on an increasingly foggy morning, chasing cormorants down the lake to Bootey Bay, rousting out a heron, a number of chattering kingfishers and a gaggle of geese.

Rousting The Canadian Geese

Kayaker Discovers His New Camera Takes Selfies
Fall Foliage In The Fog
Yesterday went quickly with a good breakfast with the guys at the Bemus Point Inn.  When I got home, we put the blog to bed (I'm being funny), then decided on a menu for tonight, Friday, when we are having friends over for dinner.  Around 11:00, good friends of mine from Cleveland picked me up and we drove over to the Seezurh House for lunch.  I got to know both John and Gacey playing ball in the summers at Shaw Field in East Cleveland and Stan and I taught together at Painesville Harvey back in the 1960's.  Both played in college about the same time I did and after college, we played in local Cleveland leagues.  So we have a history in sports from the good old days and we have stayed in touch over the years, getting together here at the lake each summer for the past four or five years. It's always a trip back in nostalgia as we talk about all the guys we knew on the courts, either in high school, college, or later.  Our memories of the 1950's and early 1960's are better than what we did two days ago.  And all four of us have coached basketball in high school, with various degrees of success. Gacey was the most successful winning a couple of Ohio high school championships.  It's a fun gathering and we vowed to do it more often.  We met in the spring in Erie at a Park And Eat, an hour drive for Stan and me, an hour for the guys from the Cleveland area.

Friends For Fifty Years

I got home around 1:30 and Evie was ready to do some shopping for tonight's dinner and perhaps hit T.J. Maxx to see if anything new is available.  I watched another episode of FNL's, read some and took a nap, waking semi refreshed at 3:30.  Since I had not gotten in any exercise and the lake sky was starting to clear, I went out for a half hour paddle, just as the sun was starting to warm the afternoon.  When I returned, I was still energized, so I got out my hiking poles and went for an easy walk through the Woodlawn/Victoria woods, still wet from the rain Wednesday night.

The Woods, The Woods
And I was surprised that some of the green that I had weed whacked last week revive and stand up again, most likely from the rain.  I felt righteous when I got home, having both kayaked and hiked, ready for our once a week Mannie night.  Evie had returned with groceries and a few things from TJ's, so we quickly put things away so we could begin cocktail hour.
Beginning Of Fall Colors at 7:15 PM
Because it was another fine evening, we decided to have a good cheese on our front porch as we listened to the news, then a couple of groups on Apple Music we have come to enjoy, Khalid, The National, and 21 Pilots.

Dinner was easy, the leftover pizza from SAUCE and a salad.  We even had enough leftover to give a  some to our neighbors for their dinner. Not much on TV last night, just the usual, the pundits and Vice News.  I was happy to go up to bed early to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...