Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Calm And Clear And Warm

Happy 73rd Birthday Evie

Happy 49th To Our Son, Tom

7:09

7:11

7:11

7:12

7:38
I was up at 6:00, still dark and had to wait for over an hour for the sun start to peak over the horizon at 6:11.  It's in full bloom at the moment, muted some by the haze but still grand, as it slowly rises above Bemus Bay.  A gaggle of at least 50 geese are gathered off of Victoria, an occasional honk filling the air.  High in the low 80's today, as Indian Summer continues.  An interesting morning of kayaking.  Talked briefly to a guy reading a book on the rocks at the tip of Long Point.  And small world, I ran into Bill Currin, former mayor of Hudson, and Nancy Bargar, a fellow yoga participant out skiing.
The Reader

Friends From Hudson And Jamestown

Geese Rising

We had a very busy Monday, but a fun day.  Our good friends from Maine are arriving this afternoon, so Evie was prepping for their arrival dinner.  We did begin with a kayak paddle along Woodlawn, across to Long Point and home, energizing and fun.  By 10:30, Evie had finished her shopping list on the Wegman's app so off I went to do some mega shopping.  I stopped first at Ryders Cup for a coffee and some of their organic eggs. Then, on to the Can Man to mail back a bike rack.  Then, a brief walk through Walmart to pick up two-stroke marine oil for my boat, then on to Wegman's to shop for groceries.  No longer a written list, I just go to the Wegman's app on my phone and it tells me not only what to get but what aisle and when I am done, it tells me that I am finished with all the items, pretty cool.  The best part of the app is that it tells me what aisle to find an item since Wegman's is constantly changing things around.  I finished off my journey with a stop at the bank to deposit a check and get money from the ATM, what a tech-savvy guy I am.

Dahlia

Dahlia
When I got home, Evie had already made up a soup and had started the dinner for tonight, which includes a number of steps but can be made the day before.  It took awhile to put away the groceries, filling the pantry with goodies for the next couple of days.  I then warmed up the leftover eggplant spaghetti for lunch and watched some TV.  Evie wanted to get the lawn cut but took some time to enjoy the dock before starting to mow around 2:30, when the lawn finally dried out from the dew.  I got out the weed whacker and did my part and by 4:00, we were both out enjoying the afternoon.  It ended up being a warm afternoon; we both worked up a sweat so we took showers before dinner at the Viking.  It was cloudy most of the afternoon with rain forecast so we were not sure whether to boat over to the Viking Club.  We finally decided to do it and if it rained, so what.  We got wet.  Well, as we started over, the sun came out and it was a lovely early evening on the lake.  We were one of two boats at the dock and easily found a seat at the bar, striking up a conversation with Jeff the bartender and a couple other people we have gotten to know over the past five or six years.  It was Rueben and Cuban night, so we both ordered Cubans, so large that we both ended up taking half of the sandwich home for lunch.  We left about 8:00 and took our time cruising home, as it was dark by the time we pulled into our dock.  Once again, we were the only boat on the lake at that late hour,

Twilight
We finished the night with some TV, Vice News of course, and Andy Cohen, who had a couple of Emmy winning guests, Elizabeth Moss and Sarah Paulson.

This is a special day, my wife Evie's 73rd birthday and our son, Tom's 49th.  Last year it was spent with friends from California, Rick and Carolyn, this year with Vickie and Ron.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...