Thursday, September 14, 2017

Sauce, Reg Lenna, Forte -- Jamestown, New York


7:28

7:28

Our Visitor Most Mornings
I was up at 6:20, surprised at how dark it still was until I got downstairs and realized it was raining, the sky filled with gray.  It's 62º and it looks like we will have rain most of the day, setting up the sunshine for the next five days, as Indian Summer comes to Chautauqua Lake (we hope).  I checked the rain gauge and to my surprise, we received over two inches, just what Evie's garden needs.

Yesterday was different; I like change but not necessarily this kind, a drive to Erie for an annual doctor's appointment.  And I walked out with a clean bill of health but I also was wearing a Holter monitor, just to make sure my heart was in rhythm.  This put a bit of a cramp in my plans to ride my bike around Presque Isle because I was to avoid sweating.  So I went on a modified ride, making sure to not over do it.  It was a beautiful morning on Lake Erie, lots of locals on the paved path, pushing strollers, riding bikes, inline skating, or just plain walking.  It's an amazing park which most of Americans know nothing about, a peninsula reaching out into Lake Erie, near Erie, Pa.

Presque Isle Peninsula And State Park


Voted Best Inland Lake Beaches In US
I decided to take the long way home through Westfield, to check on some hydrangeas at Westfield Nursery.  It must have been lunch time because no one was around but I browsed the plants.  I was home by 1:00 and Evie already had the leftover pork, rice and cream sauce warming in the oven for my lunch.  It was too good of a day to stay inside for Evie and since she had cut the lawn in the morning, she spent some time on the dock and went swimming as I ate, read and napped since I was up so early.

Around 3:30, we took a boat ride over to Bemus Point and along the shoreline and the boat behaved perfectly, with a new, shiny prop.  Need I say it?  Boats are trouble (often).  We were not sure what to do about dinner, just that we were going to eat out.  We noticed that the Reg Lenna Theater in Jamestown was showing a movie we had wanted to see called The Big Sick.

Chef At SAUCE
So we decided it would be a perfect night to try a new pizza place in Jamestown called Sauce, a few minutes walk away from the theater.  Everyone was welcoming at the restaurant, even the chef and the menu looked really interesting.  We ordered a large, Sicilian pizza for eighteen bucks, with mushrooms and sausage and it was big enough to feed the entire restaurant.  Not really, but it was more than enough for two couples.  It was excellent, just what we wanted and we took two large take out boxes back to our car.

Enough For Four Or More
The movie was a good choice, our kind of film, a romance but much more, as a Muslim from Pakistan has to decide whether to disappoint his family and marry a woman outside of his culture and religion.  It's well done, not a tired and cliched romance, with minor roles by Ray Romano and Holly Hunter, both funny and sad.  We both highly recommend it and particularly liked that the theme of the movie was based on Kumail Nanjiani's, the star of the movie, real life experience.  We stopped at Forte, the restaurant next door, for a beer and sat at the bar, as the restaurant was slowing down, just a few of us at the bar.  It was a nice way to end the evening.

We were home by 9:45, in time to watch another episode of Vice News before going up to bed to read.  I finished Winslow's THE FORCE and really like it, about dirty cops in the NYC system.  And I started another Joseph Kanon novel, DEFECTORS, his latest.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...