Thursday, May 25, 2017

Wet And KInda Wild

7:21 

Up at 6:20 to a rainy morning, a single boat on the choppy lake, a coolish 55º.  It looks like it will stay this way most of the day.  A good day to hunker down inside and enjoy a book or a good day for errands.

Wednesday was eclectic yoga day, a small class of four of us, allowing us to take advantage of the small size and use lots of props.  I like this class because of its eclectic nature, always something different or new.  I was tempted after class to go shopping, just bored I guess, but resisted the temptation to spend, to find a deal and went home.  It was a nice day at the lake, lots of sun but also lots of wind.  Evie had spent most of the morning inside, getting those things done that need to be done weekly, like the wash and chores that are done once every couple of weeks, like washing the windows.  It's that time of the year. Evie has a fetish about clean windows, so either she or I wash them during the warm weather every week or so.  I have to admit it makes a difference, maybe not in my life but in my view of the lake.

I was hungry by 12:30, so I heated up the taco filling and taco shells from the previous night's dinner, added the toppings and I had a great taco salad to go with another episode of SPIRAL.  While I ate, napped and read,  Evie continued to work in her garden, weeding and beginning to organize the plants.  I was out by 2:30 to help but Evie wanted our front porch cleaned so that was my task.  It was dirty from all the pollen from the trees.  So I took all the furniture off, then washed down the rails, swept and vacuumed the floor of the porch, getting it ready for summer.  I then washed down all the furniture, vacuumed the cushions, then put everything back on the porch.  And we now had a spic n span porch.

La Porch
Around 5:30, Evie had enough gardening and it started to rain, so I hurriedly took the detritus from the garden up the hill, then closed up the garage.  We popped a couple of cans of Blue Moon, poured it into glasses, added an orange slice, and went out to sit on our clean porch, a classy way to end our day.

Dinner was a favorite, something I woke up wanting, scallops, with a vermouth, lemon, garlic sauce over pasta. Yum.  I cannot believe scallops were one of the few foods I really disliked as a teen.  We watched the breaking news until it no longer seemed breaking.  We watched what was once our favorite series, THE AMERICANS.  But like many of the series this year, it seems boring and has lost its way. There's a final episode next week so it had better pull things together with a bang.  We ended the night with Vice News.

I liked this poem and will leave it to the reader to figure out why.

Loafing
by Raymond Carver


I looked into the room a moment ago,
and this is what I saw —
my chair in its place by the window,
the book turned facedown on the table.
And on the sill, the cigarette
left burning in its ashtray.
Malingerer! my uncle yelled at me
so long ago. He was right.
I’ve set aside time today,
same as every day,
for doing nothing at all.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...