Thursday, May 18, 2017

It's Like Summer

6:21 

6:37

6:38
Up once again, just before 6:00, to a 70º morning and a overcast sky.  No sunrise to rave about because of the cloud cover and no action on the lake other than martins flitting back and forth between houses.  And I have been listening as Morning Joe has been playing one Republican lie after another, not that the Democrats are any different.  It's reinforces I.F. Stone's dictum: "All governments lie, but disaster lies in wait for countries whose officials smoke the same hashish they give out." This reminds me of Marx's quotation that 'religion is the opium of the people,' or the graffiti we saw on a wall in Greece: 'Soccer is the opium of the people."  All three quotations have a ring of truth.

Yesterday began for me at 10:00 with yoga.  Strangely, I could not lose myself in class and could only think of what I had to do which wasn't much.  One of the joys of yoga is that you leave the world of worry and anxiety behind, not so yesterday.  So what was so pressing that it wouldn't leave my mind? Cutting the lawn and fixing the ropes on my boat.  How stupid can I be to worry or think about them?

6:57

6:58
Well, I raced home to an empty house because Evie had a hair appointment and she was also going to a lab in Lakewood for a blood draw.  I decided to cut half of the lawn before lunch because it was so warm, in the 80's. The heat got to me as I finished half and I didn't even feel like having lunch, so I just couched it until Evie got home around 1:00.  She made me an omelet because I hadn't eaten, the good wife.  And she laughed about going for the first time to Indulge Salon And Spa, in Lakewood.  She really liked the owner, Jaret, a guy who has lived in the area all his life.  As they were  talking about the area, he said there were many neighborhoods he would love to live in around the lake, but Woodlawn was by far his favorite place.  Evie, of course, could not wait to tell him that she lived in Woodlawn.  They soon bonded and I think she will go back.

After a brief nap, I went to finish our neighbor's lawn but Evie had already started to finish it so I happily let her.  We also walked down to our neighbors, Jeff and Ken, who were putting in their dock. Both are from Ohio and we have know them ever since we bought our place in 1981 when Jeff was still a bachelor.  He's now a grandfather.  While Evie finished the lawn, I put on my bathing suit and waded out in the water and worked on fixing the ropes that anchor my boat, making sure they are tight so that the boat will not hit the dock.  By the time I finished, I was up to my neck in water, cold water, so I thought I might as well swim, so I dunked my head, took a few strokes, went under again and quickly climbed up the ladder, to lie on the dock and dry in the sun.  The water was very cold, most likely in the mid 50's, but dunking under felt enervating, even good, if only for a second or two.

 Meanwhile, Evie finished the lawn and since it was so warm, we decided to go for our first booze cruise of the spring.  Evie put two beers in a cooler, picked up a bag of pretzels and we cruised for about forty five minutes, along Wells Bay to Tom's Point, across to Bemus, then back to Long Point and home.  It was smooth going, choppy coming home as the wind in Bemus Bay was fairly strong.

As I put the cover back on the boat, Evie prepped dinner, pre cooking some chicken thighs which I then put on the grill with barbecue sauce.  So we had our favorite summer family dinner, barbecued chicken, with noodles cooked in the chicken broth and coleslaw.  We watched last night's breaking news, the appointment of Robert Muller as Special Consul who will look into Russian influence on our election, including any collusion between Russians and the Trump team.  We happened to watch Chris Matthews on MSNBC and he had a fast paced show, with guests and panels lined up without one commercial on his one hour program.  Needless to say, all the news stations were going crazy, repeating infinitum, the same story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...