Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Routine Is Back: Yoga, Shopping, Bird watching, Yard work, Books, and Cruising The Lake


6:47

7:18

7:56
I missed sunrise by a good half hour but it felt good to sleep in till 6:30.  It's somewhat overcast though the sun still blasts through the clouds enough to reflect on the lake.  It's 47º and will stay in the 60's the rest of the day.  No rain until Thursday.  As I finish, I noticed the purple martins are flitting back and forth between their houses, at least 20,  singing as they make their nests.  What a joy to wake each morning to their sounds.

A Family That Stays Together

Heron, Weeds, And Cairn
It was difficult to get moving yesterday, to get back in the routine but I did and went to a Yin Yoga class at 9:30.  We did some interesting wrist exercises as well as hip openers and I felt pretty good about my life by the time I left.  The sun was out when I exited the studio, a relief after the heavy rains we fought on Sunday's drive home from Columbus.  I got a coffee at Ryder's Cup, then went to both Home Depot and Wegman's, to pick up a few staples for the week, like our favorite Perry's ice cream, Bittersweet Sinphony.  When I got home, Evie offered to make me a lunch of eggs and bacon. How could I refuse.  While she made the eggs, I got out the pressure cooker and tossed in a pound of cannelloni beams for 25 minutes, then let them sit until later in the afternoon.

I had my breakfast/lunch, watched some of the Cavs loss, read more of my Vietnam book, MATTERHORN, and fell asleep for only 15 minutes, alas.  I wanted more.  So I got up and made a pot of kuru fasulye, an easy Turkish dish with cannelloni beans.  All you do is saute an onion in olive oil, add a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste, and some Maras or Aleppo pepper, as well as cayenne to taste, then add the beans and water from the pressure cooker.  Simmer it until the beans are tender although after the pressure cooker, they already were.  Add salt to taste and you have a Turkish peasant staple.

Around 3:30, both Evie and I went outside, determined to make something of our day.  Evie worked in the garden, trimming and weeding and I work on bare spots in our front yard for about the fourth or fifth time, using topsoil along with fertilized grass seed, hoping that it will grow.  I filled up a number of water cans with water and watered the areas and hope to continue to do it each day it doesn't rain.  By gosh, I am determined this time that the grass will grow.

Around 6:00, Evie put some potatoes in the oven, wrapped up the Trader Joe ribs in tin foil and dinner was ready in an hour.  We enjoyed a leisurely cocktail hour, with one of our favorite cheeses from Trader Joe's, Saint Andre, although it was not quite ripe.  We took numerous photos of a blue heron, standing on our neighbor's dock for at least a half hour, no doubt waiting for a fish dinner.

Patiently Waiting For Dinner
Got An Itch
The ribs and potatoes and a salad were great and we watched the 'breaking new' for once which seemed breaking, the terrible bombing of an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England.  There but for the grace of the gods go I.  Chance and luck, the twin towers of reality.  We ended the evening watching a less than interesting episode of BETTER CALL SAUL.  It seems as though all of our favorites series are losing direction.  Sad making.  I am almost through with my book, MATTERHORN, and I will be glad to move on to something less depressing, maddening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...