Monday, May 22, 2017

Post Basketball Hall Of Fame Blues

Our  Ohio University Basketball Hall Of Fame Team This Past Saturday- Photo courtesy of Ohio Basketball Hall of Fame/Grant Martin Photography.

6:00
It's an early morning, 5:55 and I am back at the lake, slowly coming down from the highs this past weekend, alas.  The gray skies and rain match my mood after a great weekend.  Everything comes to an end, I guess so I should be grateful for what was, a memorable weekend with teammates and their wives.  As I finish this, it's almost 9:00, the lake has settled down, the sun struggles to come out.  I should have gone for a kayak paddle but I was too lazy. My answer, always, tomorrow.

7:05 

8:21
8:41
Many of my teammates hung around the Hampton Inn breakfast room Sunday morning not wanting to leave but by11:00,  most headed home, some by plane, most be car.  It was sad saying goodbye but we all were grateful for our induction into the Basketball Hall Of Fame, mostly because it gave us a reason to gather for a weekend.

Evie and I left in the rain around 11:00 and drove the five plus hours to Chautauqua Lake in rain, often torrential most of the way.  We took our time but it was hard to see at times because of the spray from the trucks.  We did stop at our favorite store, Trader Joe's on Chagrin Blvd and walked out with a couple of cases of Two Buck Chuck, some great cheeses, granola, and our favorite simmer sauces. It was not a cheap stop.  We gassed up at the Love Station, the last stop in Ohio because gas is 35 cents cheaper than in New York State, the tax capital of the world after California.  When we pulled into our driveway, it was drizzling but we never did get the heavy rains we faced on our drive home.

Back To A Stormy Lake On A Sunday Afternoon
We were happy to be home, of course, and we quickly unpacked and put away all our goodies from Trader Joe's.  We were tired from our weekend, the drive, so it was nice to just relax, listen to Sonos and I watched the first half of the Cavs game from Friday night when they destroyed the Celtics, supposedly one of the basketball halfs in Cavs history.  They were pretty awesome.

We had an easy dinner, no fuss, as we had picked up subs at Subway in Ohio, so we watched some TV leading up to the Cavs game.  Evie went to bed early, around 9:00 but I stayed up to watch the Cavs through half time.  I was uneasy, however,  at the way they were handling every three point shot that dropped, jumping off the bench and exulting, as if the game was over.  Games are not always won by three pointers but by good defense and toughness.  And to my surprise, I found out this morning that the Cavs lost on a last second three pointer.  Either that's a good sign, a wake up call, or a sign that the team is not as good as they thought.  I hope it's the former.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...