Saturday, May 27, 2017

It Looks Like A Nice Memorial Day Weekend


6:17

6:30


6:35

7:07

It's 8:30 and I have been up since before 6:00, listening to C-Span interview Chris Hayes for an hour, then I took off and paddled over to Long Point, across to Whitney Bay and back, about an hour on the lake.  Surprisingly, even though it's the start to Memorial Day weekend when most weekenders open up their cottages, the lake was practically deserted, just me and an occasional fishing boat.

Kayak Morning

Yesterday was overcast much of the day, with an occasional drizzle but nothing to really keep us inside.  I went to a good yoga class with Julie, as class just flew by.  I then stopped for gas and a few groceries at Save A Lot before driving home.  Evie is getting serious about the garden and needed more topsoil to repair spot that was torn up by the backhoe, so off I went to Tri James and picked up three more large buckets of topsoil and three more buckets of stone for filling in low spots in our driveway.

While I was getting topsoil, Evie made me a couple of avocado sandwiches with cholula sauce and tomatoes, yum, on my homemade bread, toasted, and I was a happy boy, watching the next episode of SPIRAL.  It's nice to have a series like this to keep me interested for forty-five minutes while I eat lunch.  It was then time for reading, then a nap and up and at them to help Evie outside.  We continued to pull weeds, transplant a few perennials, trim some of the lilacs, and that was it, as the ground was still quite wet and muddy.  So we will get more done today when the yard is much dryer. We also seem to have a couple of ducks living next door as they seem to enjoy lounging on the freshly cut grass.  We assume they must have eggs somewhere but we haven't seen their nest as of yet.
Mom And Pop

Malingering
We decided to have a Friday night cocktail hour, no surprise, so we got out the Castello cheese, brie and blue, crackers and I made a Manhattan for each of us.  We started listening to a song Scott, one of my basketball teammates recommended, "It's So Hard To Say Goodbye To Yesterday," by Kenny Vance and the Planotones.  We had never heard of the song or the group but liked the song enough to listen to his album, filled with oldies but goodies from the 1950's.  That led to looking back at some of our favorite songs, first listening to Orson Wells sing "I Know What It Is To Be Young,' a song my Turkish friend's introduced Evie and me too in 2009.  Then we searched for songs on Apple Music from college and Hawaii, mostly songs by Burt Bacharach sung by Dionne Warwick like 'Walk On By,' and 'Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head.'  What a trip down nostalgia lane.  It's dangerous.  

We finally had a dinner of pork schnitzel, applesauce, baked potatoes and cabbage strudel about 8:30, in time to watch another episode of FARGO, which is finally getting more interesting.  By the time it was over, it was time to go upstairs and read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...