Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Lake Chilling


6:01

6:02

6:12

6:16

7:44
I was up at 5:55 and hurried downstairs to see if we had a frost.  Fortunately, it looks like our yard and garden avoided it.  It was 33º according to our indoor/outdoor weather device.  I did notice about ten yards of frost on our neighbor's grass so I imagine some areas did have a frost.  And the morning sun, bright and shiny, has warmed up the air to a temperate 42º in an hour.

Long Point In The Morning
For some reason, perhaps because of the cool, sunny spring like day, I was energetic and got quite a few things done outside.  My day began early, with a brilliant sunrise, then a drive to Lakewood, to a crowded yoga class.  It looked like the nice day brought out all the yoga aficionados.  When I got home, Evie had just gotten up, having slept in because of a bad night.  We talked about what we wanted to get done in the yard, so I started by spreading six pails of top soil on our yard.  Once that was done, I made two more trips to Tri James and picked up 12 more pails of dirt, spread it and tamped it down, getting it ready for grass seed.  Because of the rain, it was soggy so I may have to put another layer of dirt before adding grass seed.  I will know today when I check how firm it has become as it drys.

While I was out working, Evie made me lunch, some matzo ball soup and a pork cutlet sandwich.  I watched Spiral, read some of MATTERHORN, and took a quick nap.  Meanwhile, Evie had talked with Adam, our Amish friend, who is helping us find a carpenter to make a couple of Adirondack chairs out of weather resistant polystryene.  We ended up driving to his store in Ashville, to talk over some of the designs.

When we got home, we both started to work in the yard, trimming bushes, cutting down wild saplings, and cutting the lilacs blossoms, bringing them in the house, putting them in vases, to enjoy.  Once that was done, we powered up both mowers and spent the next hour cutting two yards, heavy with moist grass but they both needed it.  We didn't finish up in the yard until 5:30, sweaty and dirty from our work.  We decided to save the leftover Mississippi beef for another night, so Evie pulled some Italian sausages out of the freezer and heated up some beans for dinner.  Before dinner, however, we were able to have an hour of wine time, with pistachios, our recent favorite snack. Dinner was quick and easy and we watched this season's final episode of BILLIONS.  We finished the night with another hour of  O. J. Made In America.  We have a couple of hours to go and it's riveting.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...