Sunday, May 28, 2017

Midway A Memorial Day Weekend


6:09

6:20
8:50
It's partly cloudy, as the sun tries to break through the clouds on a surprisingly cool morning.  I missed sunrise because I did not get up till after 6:00.  Not much action yet on the lake but it will come.  It's 8:30 and I just got back from an hour of kayaking, over to Long Point, the Marina, across to Sandy Bottom and home to Woodlawn.  It started out cool and partly cloudy and I came home to blue skies and a warming sun at my back.  It is hard to believe it's supposed to rain later in the day.

Kayaking To Long Point
Yesterday was a good start to the weekend, mostly sunny and windy, not quite the kind of boating weather we prefer but it did not discourage the weekenders up for the first time since fall.  We got a late start but I gathered up the trash and went to the Transfer Station, getting rid of lots of cardboard boxes which were littering my rapidly filling garage.

We knew we had to get in a shopping trip and decided to bite the bullet and go before lunch.  It was a mistake because half of the area seemed to have the same idea.  We stopped at Home Depot and picked out a gallon of paint for the benches Evie has been stripping the last couple of days.  We then did a 'huge' shopping, filling up our cart.  And because we were in a hurry to get home, we picked the wrong line and lingered seemingly endless as the checker slowly put our groceries in one bag after another.  I am sure most of have been there.

We got home happily around 1:00, time for lunch wiener schnitzel sandwiches, with mayo of course and some TV, a book and a nap.  I am not sure how long I napped, either 15 minutes or 45 because I did not pay any attention to the time.  Evie was out working in the garden so I went out and helped transplant some plants, do some weeding and got a couple of large planting pots out of the garage
attic.  I had bought a mix of zinnias so I peppered them in the large pot, watered them and hope something grows.  I definitely do not have a green thumb.

Cruising A Busy Lake
By 4:30, we had our fill of mud and dirt and weeds, so we cracked open a couple of beers, some pretzels and sat out on the dock watching the action on the lake, both boats and geese until we were forced in by the cool wind.  So we finished our beer on the porch until it was time for dinner.  Early morning, Evie had browned some country pork ribs I had bought on Friday, threw them into a pot with sauerkraut and tomatoes, and let them bake for five hours in a 200º oven.  So all we had to do is boil some potatoes, mash them, and plate them with the pork and sauerkraut and we were both happy campers.  Easy and delicious.  We watched the HBO movie about Bernie Madoff, starring Robert DeNiro.  I would give it a C+, not great but it filled up a quiet Saturday evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...