Sunday, February 12, 2017

Winter Ends...For The Fourth Time


7:38

Long Point at 7:39
Woke to a fog bound lake, rain drumming on the roof, snow melting in the yard and 35º.   At the moment, I can barely make out Long Point because of the fog.  The lake is still frozen but it is no longer snow covered.  Later in the day, however, winter and snow returns, as we can expect 4-8 inches over night.

We had our typical Saturday although neither of us were too excited about the weather, as it was warming up some, overcast, with the snow slowly melting away.  We did not think it would be good hiking or skiing Long Point, so Evie decided to go the Y after much debating as to whether she had the mojo to get up off the couch and head off.  She finally made it around 1:30, worked out and did some shopping, not getting home until late afternoon.

I decided to cross country ski in the morning after my weekly trip to the Transfer Station.  I did not want to drive off somewhere to ski, so I just stayed in the Woodlawn/Victoria woods, following the path blazed by my neighbors, Jeff and Nancy.  Despite the melting snow, it was pretty good skiing although I did have some problems navigating a few turns.  At one point, I  just took off my skis and walked, frustrated by my incompetence.  I was out an hour, came home in a sweat, so at least I did get something out of it.

5:30 PM
My afternoon was filled with basketball, a lunch of chili and pasta, a nap, and I watched part of the the first episode of the BBC's Wallander, with Kenneth Branagh as Wallander.  Around 3:00, I made myself a pot of Turkish tea and had a number of Evie's ginger, almond, lemon scented cookies, (Martha Stewart recipe), a perfect accompaniment to tea.
5:30 PM
Around 6:00, we had our cocktail hour, with Castello cheese, crackers and chips.  The light of dusk was still lingering, so we were able to watch the lake turn to darkness, the lights of Bemus twinkling in the night.

Fishing Solo At Dusk
We listened for a bit to Prairie Home Companion but it is just not the same without Garrison Keillor.  So we then went to music and listened to whatever Evie plugged in to Apple music.  Dinner was easy as neither of us wanted to fuss...meatball grinders with a salad.  We watched Real Time with Bill Maher, then some junk TV until bedtime.  I started my first Longmire novel, THE COLD DISH, by Craig Johnson, forgetting that the TV series was based on a series of novels.  It will be fun to see how the novels differ from the TV series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...