Thursday, February 23, 2017

53º



7:22
It was unpleasantly warm when I stepped outside to get our paper.  I better get used to it because it may hit 70º tomorrow, then cool off a bit for a few days.  I don't like this change in weather patterns that seems to be wracking the entire United States, with tornadoes, torrential rains, heavy snows and unseasonably warm temperatures.  It's obviously not a result of global warming, right.

Yesterday turned out to be just one of those days although it started out well with a good yoga class with Jen.  A good part of class was restorative and we ended it with legs up the wall which everyone enjoys.  I stopped for coffee, mostly to support a local place, picked up some eggs and sat down and talked with one of the locals, Dave, and found out he's worked in just about every one of the States. People are interesting if you take the time to sit down and talk with them.  Duh! I then drove home, expecting Evie to be out getting her hair trimmed but the car was in the parking area.  And I noticed the spare tire was on the front wheel.  What the heck, I thought.  When I went in, Evie was in a kerfuffle, and explained that when she drove down our road, she heard a thumping noise and the steering was out of whack.  Our neighbor, Jeff, stopped her, showed her the flat tire and helped put on the spare so she could drive it home.

A Good Neighbor
So I called the Subaru dealer, made an appointment and had lunch.  Evie had a doctor's appointment for her blocked ear in Jamestown, so we drove two cars, dropping the Subaru off at the dealer then driving to her appointment.  Just before she was finished, the dealer called, said the tire seemed to be fine, that a small dent in the rim may have caused the tire to deflate but that they think it will be fine. Before Evie dropped me off at the dealer, however, we did a quick shopping at Tops and could not pass up the two for one deal on pork chops, dramatically modifying our dinner plans.  Evie then dropped me off at the dealer who explained that I should keep an eye on the tire but they think it should be fine.  A new rim would cost a couple of hundred dollars, so I am going to have to decide whether to get a new rim or go with the old.  Decisions.  The dealership did not charge me for their services which was a pleasant surprise.

Late Afternoon Fog
We got home around 4:30 and Evie quickly seared the pork chops, added sauerkraut and put them in the oven to bake until dinner.  We had a brief cocktail hour. This time I felt like a Southern Tier beer, one called Tangier, which I have come to enjoy.  I even had a second, a Buffalo One.  Perhaps I am becoming a micro beer fan.  Besides picking up pork chops,  I easily talked Evie into getting a side of Bob Evans mashed potatoes, to go along with the pork chops, saving her the effort of making them. Dinner was great as for some reason, both of us were ready for a pork chop, sauerkraut and mashed potato dinner.  It's Evie's favorite dinner from her childhood and had become mine in the first years of our marriage. There's just enough left for a lunch, maybe.  We then binge watched THIS IS US, finally getting caught up with the series.  This last episode, called MEMPHIS, was beautifully done and very moving, the performances by Sterling K. Brown and Ron Cephas Jones riveting and emotional.

I am sticking with my book, even though I don't much like it but I suffer from that disease called, 'if you start a book, you should finish it.'  Silly, I know and I am getting better at it but for now, I have not found something else to read.  So I stick with A LITTLE LIFE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...