Saturday, February 11, 2017

A Bright/White 40º Saturday Morning


7:12

7:12

7:12
I spent early morning listening to a TED talk about how to have better political conversations.  The speaker argues that both political parties have different moral values.  Liberals often tend to identify with values like justice, equality, fairness, and care and protection from harm.  Conservatives, however, often tend to identify with values like loyalty, patriotism, respect for authority and moral purity.  To convince the other side of one's beliefs, we have to use opposing values.  In other words, if one is a Liberal, we might appeal to Conservatives patriotism to convince them of the wrongness of Trump's ban on Muslims.  Interesting but not convincing. Anyways, it's a mostly gray, 31º morning with some pink off in the distance.

We did little different yesterday so that I can hardly remember what we did since it was a carbon copy of most of the previous days.  Our days tend to blend together.  Only when I tried to walk around this morning did I remember yesterday's yoga class.  We spent a good amount of time squatting and the soreness in my thighs this morning reminded me of that class.  I guess I have not used those muscles recently.  After that workout, I stopped for coffee, was able to get another dozen organic eggs, so I was a happy guy.  It does not take much for that.

I guess I better amend my previous statement that yesterday was little different from the rest of the week.  I forgot that after a lunch of leftover eggplant pasta, Evie and I both drove off to Lakewood.  I dropped her off at the YMCA and I then drove to Fluvanna, to Schultz's Subaru, for an oil change which always becomes more than just an oil change.  They recommended another two hundred dollars in work on my 2016 Outback.  The reason I got a new car is so I didn't have to always get something fixed.  I think the new car maintenance racket is 'fixed'.  I did not get their recommended service, just an oil change, a few filters, a tire rotation for a hundred bucks, with coupons.  A deal?  I then drove back to Lakewood and picked up Evie who was waiting patiently for me.

We did not get home until after 3:00 and then had to make up our mind whether to eat in or go out to  eat.  Evie left it up to me so I decided we should go to the Rod and Gun for a fish fry since we have not been there in months.  It was a good choice.  I was able to find a parking space easily, and there were a number of seats open at the bar, so we settled in, had a beer, and Evie gambled away ten bucks in about five minutes.

Our Friend And Waitress
We asked to be seated in our new friend Carol's section of the dining room.  We were called after a half hour and she was happy to see us.  We ordered, what else, the fish fry with coleslaw and it was great, my filet literally flopping over my plate.  Carol convinced us to take home a piece of cake with whipped cream and cherries, so Evie was very happy.  It was nice to be back in the club after a hiatus.

Dinner At The Rod And Gun Club
When we got home, we quickly got into more comfortable clothes, settled into the TV room, hygge (Danish for cozy) with our piece of cake, and watched another episode of BROADCHURCH.   We wondered why we can easily understand everyone in the series except for the two main protagonists.  Crazy.  We then watched CNN with Van Jones who had Bill Maher on as a guest for an hour.  He was his usual self, outrageous yet rational in an extreme sort of way.  And he's fed up with many liberal attitudes as well as, obviously, conservatives, especially Trump.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...