Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Where Went Winter


7:45 

It's 7:50 and I have been up since 6:30, having slept in (for me).  It's another Chautauqua gray morning, 36º, as most of the snow has melted although the lake is still frozen.  No fishermen this morning, as they seem to have smartened up.  The long range forecast does not seem to include snow. Could this be the end of winter here at the lake? Probably not as the weather gods are particularly fickle this time of year.

Yesterday's Fog And Melting Snow
Yesterday remained a 'coyote ugly' kind of day.  Foggy, gray, drizzle, dirty snow along the sides of roads, in piles of parking lots.  So it was good to get away from it for an hour and a half and go to a yoga class.  After class, I had a brief conversation with Julie, our teacher, who I know is sympathetic to my politics.  But it's sad to say that I feel uncomfortable talking freely around other yoga classmates if I don't know their politics.  I have never felt this so strongly until the coming of Trump to the political scene.  He seems to have really polarized our nation. We are afraid to share opinions, to communicate honestly.  Sad.

It was 5% off Tuesday at Wegmans so I did some light shopping.  I ran into Julie, from yoga and often run into fellow students although it seems strange to call older women students.  When I got home and starting putting away the groceries, Evie reminded me that I forgot to ask for the discount when she checked my receipt!  What a woman.  We had plans for the evening, driving to Jamestown and watching a basketball game, but neither of us felt like leaving the house and the weather was so ugly that we bagged that plan and decided to stay home, a good choice.   So I drove to the post office in Stow, mailed three boxes of cookies and that was our excursion for the day.  I moved the cars around so they weren't under the trees because heavy winds were forecast, up to 50 miles an hour gusts. By the way, there is s small branch down in our front yard which is typical, my way of letting nature trim our tree.

A Fading Long Point Sky
I had the leftover chicken picata and rice for lunch, watched another Wallander, and then the afternoon slipped by quickly for both of us, me reading or napping, Evie watching some TV or playing Words With Friends.  Neither of us were interested in doing anything.

A Panacea To A Blah Day
As a balm to the dismal weather, we relaxed with a cocktail and some great cheese, Castello, a brie and blue cheese, around 5:30, as the fog rolled in, blanketing the lake.  We had little worry about dinner as we were having Trader Joe's barbecued ribs.  All we needed to do was heat them up.  So around 7:00, Evie fried up some baked potatoes, pulled ribs out of the oven and we had a good meal.  The ribs are really quite good, just enough for the two of us.  We watched some Vice news, some CNN, Fox, or MSNBC and another episode of BROADCHURCH.  Bed sounded good so we both went up early, to read some and hopefully fall asleep quickly.  We did.

In his own words: "I’m one of the smartest people anywhere in the world…and I love the poorly educated."

-->

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...