Sunday, March 1, 2020

A Bright Sunny Morning On A Snowy Lake


7:30
8:09
What a difference from the past couple of days,  I could tell as our bedroom was filled with light when I woke later than usual at 7:20.  What a delight to walk downstairs to a living room filled with light, the lake a brilliant white, the sky blue, a few guys walking out on the lake. 

Morning Ice Fishing
We woke up yesterday morning to another six to eight inches of snow, a surprise.  And it snowed on and off during the day but with only a few inches of accumulation.  I didn't realize how much it had snowed overnight until I walked outside around 10:00 to clear off our car and parking area.  It took me a good twenty minutes to clear everything so that I could get to the Transfer Station with our trash from the week.  After coming in to warm up, we had the trash gathered and I drove to the Transfer Station where the guys were sitting in their truck, rather than helping their customers.  I think they were just warming up.  When I returned, I knew I wanted to get in some physical activity so  I decided a good place to cross country ski would be out to Long Point and back. 

Road To Long Point Marina
So I drove over to the marina and parked, got out my skis and started on the west side of the peninsula.  Soon I was met by two and three-foot drifts from the heavy winds that always hit that side. Fortunately,  I talked with a guy on snowshoes, trying to find his way.  He mentioned that a boy scout troop from Conneaut, Ohio, was snowshoeing out to the point on the east side of Long Point.  So I crossed over to that side and was able to follow their trail easily and the woods protected me from the bitter winds.  It was a good choice.

Tip Of Long Point
When I arrived at the point, the scouts, about 15 of them were heading back, many falling down on the skis and awkwardly trying to get back up.  I was out for close to forty-five minutes, loved gliding through the pine tree trails, working up a sweat.

Trail Of Pines
I didn't get home until 1:00 and Evie had put together a soup from the leftover Santa Fe chicken.  She warmed it up and made us a quesadilla.  We decided to continue our series, The Americans, and we watched one episode while enjoying lunch.  After the episode, I read some of my book The Overstory, then for a change, started a new book from Joseph Finder called Vanish, a nice change from Richard Powers.  Sometimes I like to have two books going at once.  I fell asleep reading as usual and woke around 3:00, wondering what to do the rest of the afternoon.  I watched some of the Kansas game, then we both decided to get outside and get some fresh air.  We worked again clearing a couple of inches from the parking area, then walked around Woodlawn, just sucking up the late winter afternoon air.  Ah, winter!

We had our wine around 5:30, the lake slowly darkening, both of us reading, me my book, Evie on her iPhone, waiting to hear the results of South Carolina.  We had thought about going out for Chinese for dinner but settled on the leftover meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy, and a salad, with Caesar salad dressing.  After we listened to the good news that Biden had won convincingly in South Carolina, we watched another film, another Oscar-nominated film, Ford vs Ferrari.   I cannot say I loved it but I enjoyed it more than Evie.  I guess we both got bored with the long scenes of car racing,  Unless you are a NASCAR fan, I think you might find it boring.  The story was more interesting, loosely based on facts though predictable with the supportive wife, the admiring son, and a Ford executive, the bad guy, creating conflict.  We ended the night with Bill Maher, as usual, going off on both Trump and the inept Democrats.  At least Biden won South Carolina, giving us middle of the road Democrats some hope.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...