Friday, March 27, 2020

Finding Light In Darkness


7:29
It's 8:30 as I start this blog and I have just returned from a chilly paddle down to Sandy Bottom and back.  When I started, it was fine but the wind picked up on a 39º morning, so my hands were cold despite the gloves and I didn't see any waterfowl, mostly because they tend to blend into the gray morning.

Kayak Morning
Yesterday morning, however, was a striking contrast to today, with a beautiful sunrise, lifting our spirits as we stay indoors for much of the day.  For some reason, after a great sunrise and finishing the blog,  I wanted to go for a walk through the Lake View Cemetery in Jamestown, where Lucy is buried and other Jamestown founders. We try to walk it a couple of times a year but autumn is best.

Lake View Cemetery
So we headed over there around 11:00 and joined maybe ten others winding our way along the paths, looking at gravestones, the interesting family names, the most common, Larson, Carlson, and Peterson, obviously Swedish.

Veterans Memorial
I Love Lucy
We walked to the end, past the Veterans Memorial and back.  And we, of course, followed the path of hearts to the Lucille Balls memorial.  It was a perfect day for a walk, warm enough so we hardly needed a fleece.

Family Time On Lake Point 
We didn't get home until 1:00 and I was ready for lunch, so Evie warmed up the cauliflower soup and made me a taco salad which we shared.   I watched another episode of Blood, read my book and napped until 3:00.  Early afternoon, the sun disappeared, the day turned gray so we did not have much motivation to get outside.

Child On Tip Of Long Point Yesterday Afternoon
At 4:00, I practiced yoga for a half-hour and then we had a nice wine time until it was time to finish off dinner.  Earlier, Evie had marinated chicken cutlets in buttermilk and made a lemon/vermouth sauce for the chicken piccata.  At 6:00, she roasted asparagus and sauteed the cutlets before returning them to the sauce.  She also made a cup of rice and salad so we had a feast interrupted however by Trump's Open Mike Ramblings, as he threatened Governors: if they want items like ventilators, "They have to treat us well." What a buffoon, such a whiny baby.  Anyways, once we turned that off, dinner was great and we returned to our show, The Americans, two more episodes, as we are about to finish Season Four.

A Beautiful Day For A Walk

Good advice on today's Writer's Almanac From Poet Wendell Berry:

Look It Over
by Wendell Berry
I leave behind even
my walking stick. My knife
is in my pocket, but that
I have forgot. I bring
no car, no cell phone,
no computer, no camera,
no CD player, no fax, no
TV, not even a book. I go
into the woods. I sit on
a log provided at no cost.
It is the earth I've come to,
the earth itself, sadly
abused by the stupidity
only humans are capable of
but, as ever, itself. Free.
A bargain! Get it while it lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...