Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Morning On Chautauqua Lake


Long Point By Evie
7:36
7:43

It's just about 7:00 as I start this and I have been listening to Morning Joe and the lake sky and lake begin to lighten to a mass of gray, the shorelines black.

Yesterday was like most of the others, obviously, as we are following the advice to self-quarantine.  I was lucky to wake up to a windless morning and despite the drizzle, I went out for a good paddle down to Wells Bay and back, always a good way to start the morning, to perk p my mood.  After finishing the blog, I still felt like doing something so I found a recipe for Chana Dal, another Indian dish using split, skinned chickpeas, It sounded easy, cook the dal for an hour and make a sauce of garlic, ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, tomatoes, and a can of coconut milk. It took longer than I thought and I am not sure it was worth it because the chickpeas still seem tough, the flavor a bit bland.  I will work with it more today but may end up throwing it out.

A Quiet Early Afternoon
Fortunately, we missed Trump's two hour Town Hall on Fox News, where else, where Fox toadies threw Trump softballs to answer, as he suggested we get back to work by Easter, 'a beautiful time...a beautiful timeline. It's a beautiful day, it means so much to me" so says our fake born again President.  Of course, Trump is not relying on science or facts for this, just his gut.

Lunch was great, another bowl of cauliflower soup and a couple of toasted cheese sandwichs spread, of course, with Wegman's jam.  I got bored with the Prime Video series about the drug trade, so I started a new series called Blood, which I had started a few months ago.  At least I remember watching the first episode, a good sign.

Thunder Bridge
It was another day of leisure for both of us, with a few housekeeping chores but that's about it.  Around 3:30, I decided to walk the Chautauqua Institution; Evie was not feeling chippy, so I went off by myself.  There's been a brouhaha lately by the locals who are complaining that residents from the New York City area are migrating to their homes in Chautauqua, emptying the local stores of groceries, ignoring quarantine and perhaps bringing the Covid19 virus with them.  I think this is mostly fear and resentment by the locals, who see the residents as wealthy, liberal know it alls.

Chautauqua Woods And Creek
On my walk,  I noticed a few cars from out of state but it was hard to tell if the population had grown more than twenty or thirty residents if that.  I passed four or five people out walking like me which is unusual because we rarely see anyone on our walks.  It was a chilly day for a walk and I was out for an hour, walking over two miles according to my Apple watch which keeps track of all my exercising from paddling, to yoga, to walking, to working in the yard.

One Of Our Favorite Houses Wrapped For Winter
Dinner was easy we thought as our local pub was advertising their usual Tuesday night special of two steaks and fries for twenty bucks.  All we had to do was pick it up.  When we called around 6:15, the steaks were gone, alas, so we had to settle for burgers and fries.  I drove over to Greenhurst, walked in and it was ready, paid my bill, and drove home.  The burgers and fries were fine, not as hot as we would have liked but still tasty.  We watched a bit of the Trump Show, then the news and finished a Home Town before finishing the night with three more episodes of The Americans.

Here is a quotation from Gloria Steinem that made both of us laugh out loud this morning. "A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...