Sunday, May 26, 2013

Sunny Morning, Blue Skies, Shimmering Lake...Get Ready for Summer

7:00
Last Night's Amazing Spring Moon
I woke later than usual, at 7:00, to a living room filled with sunlight.  It's amazing how it picks up your mood to come downstairs to this.  A couple of kayaks are paddling by, a few fishing boats are out, so it's a real beginning to the Memorial Day Weekend.  Last night, again, there were freeze warnings, so we covered all our plants with a sheet but I just checked the temperature and it was 45º, surprisingly warm considering the forecast, and I just heard another warning for tonight.

Since we had no major plans for yesterday morning, I went to yoga with Chris, a decent size class and he was very happy to see me again, after a hiatus of about a month.  Either I could not go to his class or he canceled it.  He's the talky one, tries to be our guru, always writes on his Facebook page about class.  An example from after yesterday's class.  " Today was such a nice day at the studio.  I feel like I have moved a major obstacle in my life and my practice both as a teacher and a student.  Thanks to all of you so much for being a part of my journey and I'm so thankful that I can be part of yours  OM and Blessings"  I  guess all my yoga teachers preach the ethics of yoga, read a passage from a text but he's the most garrulous, the most difficult to take seriously.

After class, I went to Home Depot, as we have been having trouble with our flags and flag pole, and we miss not having it flying on our dock.  So I bit the bullet, bought a very expensive flag and flag pole, aluminum and sturdy, to put on our dock.  I got it home, put together the five aluminum pieces, took it out on our dock very carefully, and as I started to raise it, the bottom piece dropped into the lake.  Only I could manage this kind of fiasco.  So, I ran into the house, put on my suit, and over my wife's protests (worrying that I might have a heart attack), I jumped in the water, waded under the dock, and retrieved the missing piece.  I climbed up the ladder, put the pieces together again, more carefully this time, raised the pole and we both realized it was obnoxiously tall for our dock.  It looked ridiculous, needed to be in a yard in front of a mansion. So, I took it down, took it apart, packed it back in the box, and the next time I go to Home Depot, I will return it.  What a waste of time and energy.  So I put our old pole up, with a new flag, and will see how long it lasts in the strong winds.
Dinner with Leonard's(last year)

Our neighbors, the Leonard's were arriving Saturday afternoon, and we both try to help them out with the upkeep of their yard when they are gone and the opening of their cottage.  So, Evie cut both our lawn and theirs, so that it looked amazing for their arrival.  And we decided to have them over for dinner because they would not get to the lake till late afternoon.  So she made a fresh strawberry pie, with a short cake crust, and vanilla cream between the strawberries and crust.  The Leonard's arrived about 4:00 and we went over and helped them bring their clothes and things into the house, had it done in about a half hour.  Around 6:00, they came over for dinner, of Evie's Greek lemon chicken, spinach, rice, salad, and the delicious pie.  We had fun catching up with them, and they really appreciated not only the dinner but our help with their moving back in to the lake house.  They stayed till about 9:00.  Evie and I then washed and dried the dishes, watched a little TV, read, and went to bed.

Few plans for today other than helping Ron Mc Clure put his boat in the water, and Evie's making potato chips, to take to our neighbors, the Fox's, porch party at 5:00, an annual affair.  Tomorrow, Memorial Day, we are having a picnic at our house, burgers, potato salad, and dogs, perfect for a cool afternoon at the lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...