Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Finally, Rain Last Night, Overcast Morning

Yesterday morning at 6: 20
6:00
I am up early again, anxious, I suppose because of a dentist appointment this morning.  And I am putting my boat in the water this afternoon, weather permitting and with it, the summer officially begins for those of us on the lake.  It's warm already, 65º, a high today of 83º, though the weather changes in the next few days, cooling off for the weekend.  We did get about 3/10ths of an inch of rain last night, some thunder storms, nothing severe.

Yesterday, I vowed to kayak early, weather permitting, so I was up and out on the lake by 6:15, a wonderful way to start the day.  Not a soul on the lake, just me, quiet except for the honks Canadian geese, 'the liquid gurgling warble' of the martins, the caws of the crows, but no motor boats, no fishermen.  I meandering down towards Wells Bay, fishing when I felt like it, a couple of bites, one perch.  Then, I paddled across the lake, to Long Point, along it's tip to the Pavilion, then back across the lake to Woodlawn.  I stopped to talk with Jeff Vigliotti, a neighbor, also up early, who is usually up skiing at this time. He's up for the week, getting the house open, boats in.  I paddled home, happy to have been on the lake.  The rest of the day was filled with little tasks, as I got a blood test in Mayville early, for my yearly physical next week and since I was in Mayville, I went to the DMV to register my boat trailer for the year, silly since I use it twice a year, for about an hour each time but I don't want a ticket either for not registering it.  I also stopped at Hogan's, bought my yearly fishing license, $ 29.00 for a local but next year, when I turn seventy, it's $ 10.00...cannot wait.
Greening Up

When I returned, Evie had painted a couple more chairs, a table, and was in the process of cutting both Leonard's and our lawns, as it was supposed to rain later.  While she cut, I did some weeding along the privets, the lake wall, and we worked at creating climbing lines for the clematis, up the sides of our house, round the windows.  We can never quite find the right twine, so we are trying fishing line this time, to see how it works, if the plants will cling to something that fine.

The rest of the day, we spent relaxing, mostly in the yard or dock, enjoying the sun but for only short periods, as it was unseasonably warm, at least 85º mid afternoon.  Evie went swimming once again though it was 'very cold,' and she did not linger.  Before dinner, I went fishing in my kayak for about forty five minutes, a nice way to end the day.  Next door, two fishermen have 'fishing kayaks,' and were out as well, their kayaks fitted with rod holders, so they can bring a couple of rods.  I am not sure what they do with their caught fish.  I will have to ask because that seems to be the problem when fishing in a kayak.

For dinner, we had shrimp cocktails and the leftover fried rice, watched the final episode of the first season of Rectify.  Nothing was settled, as the six episodes are a test of audience interest and because it has gotten good reviews, I assume it will continue next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...