Thursday, May 23, 2013

A Quiet, Overcast Morning, As Temperatures Drop

First Blush, 6: 15


Boat's Docked, Ready for Summer

Up at 6:10, just as the sun peaked, briefly, out of the cloud bank off over Long Point.  The only sounds, purple martins and NPR.  I am tempted to kayak but I have breakfast at 8:00.  A slight wind moves the leaves, a sprinkling of rain last night, hardly dampening the ground.  Low tonight, 39º, 69ª during the day, and at the moment, it's 64º.  Enough weather news.  O, yea, showers are expected on and off during the day and, in fact, it just started raining, hard,  the lake rippled, peppered by rain, Long Point blurred as well  I have not seen this hard rain in many months.  Evie's excited, too, screaming "Yes, yes, let it rain"!

Yesterday was a dreadful day, spending close to three hours in a dentist chair in Jamestown, getting a new crown, not fun.  Lots of waiting, but I did bring my book. I  got home around noon, after working on my boat, getting it ready to launch.  I was having trouble getting it to start but Joe Deault, who is always willing to help me launch it, realized the leads on the battery were corroded and needed to be wire brushed.  I had done it earlier but not enough to clear all of the corrosion.  I did have the trailer registered but the lights would not work, typical, so we risked it, hoping to avoid the law.  The launching went easily, the motor started, the impeller worked, something I have always had trouble with.  Maybe the eight hundred dollars I spent last fall on the boat was worth it.  Probably not, as a boat, like a house, is a deep hole in which you throw money.  Anyways, I braved a heavy wind, pulled into the calm waters of our bay, tied the boat up and was ready for summer to begin.
Poseidon, Zeus or Biff?

The rest of the afternoon, I relaxed, as did Evie, both of us exhausted from our morning labors.  I feel no guilt but Evie always feels uneasy relaxing, thinking there is something else should could be doing, the Petkovsek gene I suppose.  I am certainly my father's son, more than happy to sit and enjoy the afternoon doing nothing, usually reading a book.

We had a beer on the front porch, enjoying the waning 'quiet days', as Memorial Day and the summer residents, are poised to ascend on the lake.  Almost no action on the lake, no neighbors in there yards, no people on the dock, a boat or two over towards Long Point, the good life.  For dinner we had breaded tilapia, with homemade bread crumbs, spinach and salad, and the fish, especially, tasted great, why I am not sure, perhaps the seasoned bread crumbs, the crispy outside.  We watched Stewart and Colbert, Smash and read some before bed.  I am glad this day is over and look forward to today, where I don't have anything that I 'have to do,' other than help Ron Mc Clure launch his boat, easy enough and I usually get a beer as payment, probably at the VFW, where it's only a buck, the big spender!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...