Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Overcast, Some Rain, and Warming Up

7:00
Rose breasted Grosbeak

6:30

Up around 6:30, I think as it's almost 7:30.  A strong southerly breeze ripples the lake, a few rain drops hit the window, and I can feel the difference outside, when I got the paper, as the coolness in the air has gone.  A boat is driving by, a fisherman, as there have been a couple of boats next door all week.

I had an appointment in Erie yesterday at 11:15, so I drove in early, parked my car just inside the Presque Isle Park, and rode my bike for just under an hour, out about five or six miles and back, though I am not sure of the mileage, just the time.  It was windy, even cold, and I wish I had brought my wind breaker.  I passed mostly people walking, retiree's, I think, one or two families, but not much action, perhaps because of the wind. As I rode, gold finches, fluttered to and fro, upset at my passing.  Lake Erie, the sky, were gray, the waves knocking against the shore.  A few fishing boats were anchored just off shore, hoping to catch the early perch.  After my appointment, I stopped at Dick's, picked up a few fishing supplies, guaranteed to catch bass, and splurged on a dandy pair of Merrell barefoot running shoes (the new, new thing), though I don't intend on running but they look cool, make me feel 'tres sportif', which is more important, plus they were reduced forty bucks.  Still, they are the most expensive running shoes I have ever bought, at seventy bucks.  I am sure they will make a big difference in my hiking times.

I got home around 1:30 and Evie had been working in the garden most of the morning and almost had the lawn cut when I arrived.  The garden looks amazing, weeded and orderly, and I do love it this time of year even though there is little color.  Just the various shades of green, leaves thrusting upward in various shapes and heights, the  dark brown of the rich soil, the individuation of each plant, all are enough for me.  And if you look close, you see flowers starting to bud, a slight color.  After lunch, I cut Leonard's yard and Evie cut ours a second time, and both now look sharp, a healthy dark green, though we do need some rain.  We came in about 4:00, Evie exhausted from her day in the yard, me from driving to Erie and back, a bike ride, a lawn cut.  But we both felt good, having accomplished something, mostly for Evie as the yard and garden look amazing.

For dinner, Evie put together a dinner salad of orzo, spinach, lemon, and the leftover chicken, more than enough for both of us, with an everything bagel.  We watched some TV and I could not wait to get back to my book, John Le Carre's THE PERFECT SPY.  I had forgotten how dense his prose was, how cryptic and ambiguous, forcing me to go back and read it one or two times, to make sure I have understood it.  I am still not sure as he is the master at suggestion, hinting, but not telling.  It's nice to get back to a book I really like after struggling with THE FLAMETHROWERS, which I finally put aside either because I lost interest, or reading it in such brief swatches, when I was in Darien, ruined it for me.

Today, back to Lakewood for yoga, a stop at the bike shop for a new seat (something that's comfortable) and a bike tune up.  Dinner tonight, where else, the Seezurh, with who else, the Mc Clure's.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...