Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Grandparenting(Alone) in Darien On A Rainy Day

With Rami



Hiking with Beth


Evie was up before me, at 6:00 because Beth and Rami left early morning for Vegas, so it was up to her to get the kids off, lunches ready, bags packed, breakfast made,  just like the old days in Hudson, getting three kids up and off each morning, before both of us went off to work.  It seems like so long ago, almost as if it(getting kids ready for school) never happened.  I just got back from taking Mitchell to school(missed his bus), Tyler's off early to take his Calculus AP, and Marisa is still home, back pack packed but eating breakfast.  Looks like rain today in Darien, perhaps no walk, high of 66ยบ
Ready for Calculus AP

Volleyball Game Day for Mitchell

School, Then Hip Hop

Yesterday, since Beth and Evie wanted to go clothes shopping, I decided to find another yoga class, this time it was in Stamford, in an Annex, part of Dew Yoga.  It actually was one block beyond my favorite grocery store, Fairways, so I was familiar with the area.  It's in what used to be a huge, abandoned building, now restored, with a Dinosaur Ribs Restaurant on the first floor and small, individual rooms on the next two floors.  One was our yoga studio, the rest looked like they might be artist studios.  The class was called Gentle Vinyasa, but I found it more difficult than most of my classes, at least I found myself sweating, out of breath at times, as I tried to keep up with the flow, from one pose to another.  We had only two women in class, myself, and the teacher, Connie, who was good, paid attention to us, especially me, and slowed things down if I needed it.  It felt great to relax  during savasana because I was tired.  After yoga, I browsed Fairway, was tempted by many things, especially the cheese and Serrano ham but ended up with a half of pound of arugula, and four cans of San Marzano tomatoes, to try on our next pizza, the Cadillac of tomatoes from Italy.

Rami worked at home till 2:00 when he drove off to Bridgeport, CT, where he is working on a deal on the waterfront restoration.  Beth and Evie got home around 2:00 from shopping at all the local stores, and Evie found some really neat Kroc sandals, Beth clothes for her trip.  No games yesterday but Marisa had orchestra practice after school.  I picked her up and whisked her off to soccer at 4:00.  I took along a chair, my book, and sat out in the warm sunshine, reading and watching her team practice.  She finished around 5:15, a typical long day for today's youngsters, school then some kind of practice or game.

When we returned home, I opened a bottle of wine, shared it, and Beth put together a chicken dish, chicken thighs in a homemade green tomatillo sauce.  It then bakes for an hour, the last fifteen, you sprinkle Monterrey Jack cheese on it, so it's what Marisa calls cheesy chicken.  Served over rice, with a salad and Naan, and you have a feast, one all the family loves.  After dinner, Beth, Rami, Marisa, Evie and I played a new game called Qwirkle.  It's fun and easy, perfect for all ages.  Marisa won of course, who else.  We ended the night watching more Seinfeld with Mitch after his homework, as Beth and Rami packed for their trip.  They had to leave for their flight by 5:00 AM.  I doubt if we will  be able to walk today, so it looks like more shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...