Monday, December 3, 2018

Where Went The Snow



A Sunny Sunday Afternoon

7:20
It's 6:50, still dark out and I have been up since 6:00.  Weather-wise, it's cooled down quite a bit from yesterday's high of 51º.  And it will stay in the '30s and 20's over the next week.  Sunday was an aberration, an anomaly, an outliner, not the norm. 

Sunday Morning Kayaking
Yesterday was a day of surprises in that we were not expecting blue skies and warm temperatures in the afternoon.  In fact, Sunday started out as usual, with gray skies, drizzle, a typical Chautauqua gray morning.  I didn't even want to kayak early, preferring to stay inside and enjoy my coffee, the radio, and finish my blog.  However, by 9:30, I was ready to do something and hiking did not appeal, so I put on my boots, grabbed my paddle, and kayaked down to Whitney Bay and back. 

Fin Of A Dying Fish
On my way back, I noticed this bizarre, stripped fin rise and fall beneath the water's surface.  I took photos of it, could not figure out what it was but on closer inspection, I realized it was some type of fish on its last fins, rising and dropping in the water.  I think I will check with Skip, the fishing guru at Hogan's Hut and see if he knows what kind of fish it might be.  Anyways, I did have some company on the lake as a couple of fishing boats were out, enjoying the respite from winter.

A Mallard Walking In Our Yard
When I got home, Evie was 'up and at em' as they say.  She had made herself some coffee in her new mini coffee pot and was happy and ready to go.  I did little until around noon when Evie volunteered to make us avocado toast and eggs for breakfast.  So while she made breakfast, I went up in our attic, moved boxes and cartons and found all our Christmas stuff from years ago and brought it out to see what works and throw away the rest.  I assume we have lots of lights, many however that no longer work. 

By 1:00, full from our lunch, we were ready to waste away the afternoon, Evie watching an old film on TV, me reading my David Silva novel and taking a nap.  I woke after a half hour, looked outside, and to my surprise, the sun was out, the lake a brilliant blue and the temperature was in the 50's.  Spring is on its way!  I dithered around for an hour before deciding it was so pleasant out, that I had to go for a walk. 

Sunset Over Stow At 4:30
So I drove over to Long Point State Park and hiked its perimeter for an hour, on wet and slushy trails, the only one around except for one couple.  I was able to see the sunset at 4:30 over Stow and the ferry which was testing its equipment getting ready for the summer season.

View From Bemus Point's  Lenhart Hotel at 5:09
After my walk, I stopped at Coppola's pizza, ordered a large pepperoni to go and walked around the village for 15 minutes until my pizza was ready.

Western Sky
Shortly after returning home, we were sitting in front of the fireplace with a glass of wine, listening to the news, then Apple music until we got hungry.  Evie made a quick salad and we had another simple dinner, pizza, salad and for me, a Pepsi. There was not much new to watch on TV having watched CBS Sunday morning during breakfast.  Evie went up to bed early, so I watched some football until I too got tired and went up to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...