Saturday, December 15, 2018

The Woods In Black And White

Sleeping Beauty

7:30

8:10
It's almost 8:00 and I have been up since 6:30, waiting for the light.  The bare, snowless lawn is now visible and Canadian geese are floating by on the still partially frozen lake.  Yesterday afternoon I actually went out to kayak but the lake near the shore was still frozen enough so I could not break through the ice with my paddle or kayak.  Maybe later today I can get out on the lake. 

Mallards Huddle On Ice
Friday is like any other day when you are retired, no big deal, no TGIF.  Still, it does seem to be the end of something, or the start of something, the weekend I guess.  Anyways, I did get to yoga at 9:30 with Julie, a different class, emphasizing asanas for the neck as well as shoulder chest and shoulder openings,  So we worked on prana, or breathing on Wednesday, the neck and chest on Friday, a nice variety and change from one class to another.  I think I am the only one who takes four or five classes a week.  Most concentrate on one class, like Yin Yoga, skipping the others.  Maybe time constraints but they are missing out.  I stopped at Ryder's for a coffee and ended up talking about books with Dave and Joe at The Beaten Path Bookstore, next door to Ryder's Cup.  I always feel guilty walking past their door because I rarely buy books anymore, preferring the library.

When I drove home, Evie was in the kitchen, where else, finishing up her last batch of cookies for the grandchildren.  This time they were chocolate chip and I was not to eat them.  I did...one.  Lunch was salami sandwiches with tomatoes and a bowl of ramen, so I was happy.  I watched the Nebraska/Illinois volleyball game which I had saved from Thursday night and did not know who won.  After lunch, I took a good nap, one so good that I woke up thinking it was the morning, wondering why my watch said 2:30.  I then did some reading of my Tana French novel, made some Turkish tea and had a chat with the Sundisk help, trying to figure out how to erase and format my flash drives since neither one was working.  They were some help but I could not get it figured out until this morning when I found the right application. 



Around 5:00, despite the fact the sun was starting to set, I went for a hike through our woods.  It's an entirely different world at this hour. Still, there was a strange kind of beauty to the black and white of the trees, sky, and ground. 


I was home by 5:45 and Evie was putting together a mushroom and sausage pasta sauce for dinner.  We ate around 6:30, pasta and a salad and watched a Colbert, then an episode of SHETLAND which we realized halfway through that we had watched part of the first episode before.  We then were not sure what to watch so we watched volleyball, thinking that Illinois because it was up 2-0 would easily win the third game.  Well, at 10:45, we were still watching the match as Nebraska came back and won the 5th game to go to the finals tonight at 9:00 on ESPN2.  It was an exciting comeback win for Nebraska, a tragedy for Illinois.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...