Monday, December 17, 2018

Back On The Lake


Christmas Ready

7:47
It's 7:25 and I have been up for over an hour.  It's just now starting to get light, as I can see our trees and just make out Long Point.  It's 35º and we will probably have rain later in the day, as the lake has finally opened up, the snow melted.  Where went winter?  O, yea, it officially arrives in four days. 

Sunday was another gray day for the most part although late afternoon, it lightened up at the north end of the lake.  We did not do much Sunday morning; in fact, for the first time in quite a while, we both thought it seemed like a weekend.  By that I mean we did little other than read the NYTimes and Washington Post, finish the blog and have a second cup of coffee.  I finally got bored with it all and went outside and did some raking now that the snow has mostly melted.  I filled one barrel with leaves from our Bradford pear and took them up the hill.  When I returned, the house was nice and warm and the bacon was sizzling, as Evie was putting together our big breakfast.  Yum.  We watched the last three games of the Women's Volleyball Final.  Stanford won in five but both teams deserved to win, neither deserved to lose. 

The rest of the afternoon went as usual, both of us reading or playing Words With Friends.  I was fast into my Tana French book although my Kindle seems to have died just as I was getting to the good part.

Kayak Afternoon

Alone On The Lake
Around 4:00, the lake, which was frozen in the morning, opened up so I put on my boots, grabbed my paddle and went kayaking for forty-five minutes, down past the reeds and back. The ice tends to break up into small pieces which then melt.  Before they melt, however, the ice makes a constant sound like tin foil being crushed, the pieces jostling against each other.  It felt good to be back on the lake, no wind, some brightness, even color off to the north, temperatures in the high 30's.

Home Again

Mallards Mingle
When I returned, it was time to reward myself with a Manhattan and an appetizer, red pepper jelly, cream cheese, and crackers.  We had a leisurely cocktail hour until we became hungry and Evie then put the Trader Joe ribs in the oven for a half hour, made some coleslaw, microwaved the mac n cheese, and we had a fine dinner.  Since we did not watch CBS Sunday morning with breakfast we watched it with our dinner, then an episode of The Amazing Mrs. Maislel which we are having a difficult time enjoying.  It seems silly, sorry, Vickie.  When we went up to bed, I started the new Michael Connelly since my Kindle seems to have died. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...