Friday, December 7, 2018

A Few More Inches Of Snow


7:20
 It's 7:20 and I have been up for an hour.  Darkness has passed and the lake and Long Point are visible, the sky gray, the lake ruffled from a light wind.  It's cold outside, 24º and it looks like the snow may be over for a few days. I also have noticed the buffleheads are back, as trains of them are floating by our house.

Buffleheads
Yesterday was typically gray and cold, with some snow falling in late afternoon and early evening.  I began the day with breakfast at the Bemus Point Inn with the guys.  Soon our numbers will diminish as a couple of the guys will head to Florida for the winter.  It's always a good way to start the day, breakfast with friends.

Breakfast Club
When I came home, Evie and I finished up the blog but forgot to publish until noon.  Around 9:30, I pulled the Honda out of the garage, deciding to drive it and keep the battery charged since it had been sitting for a couple of weeks.  I drove to a crowded and good Yin Yoga class with Danielle.  What a contrast, a class of one on Wednesday. of twenty on Thursday.  After class, Evie needed a few things so I stopped at Sav A Lot and picked them up before driving home.

Because of the weather, the icy roads, Evie was staying in, afraid to risk going out for a walk.  She had been busy, however, as always and was watching the Bush's service at a Houston church when I came home.  I joined her for a while and as the Bush family pulled away in their limousine, we noticed a woman standing outside the church who looked like our neighbor, Pat.  We were sure it was her so Evie texted her and we were correct.  She was at the funeral, lives in Houston and her husband, David, is CEO of the George H. W. Bush Library Foundation in College Station, TX.

For lunch, I heated up some of the leftover chili for lunch and watched another episode of Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime.  A couple more episodes and Jack will have foiled the Al Queda plot to spread the Ebola virus in the US.  What a guy.  The rest of the afternoon I read some and took a brief nap.  Evie, however, put together our dinner.  I had early in the morning seen a recipe for Chicken Marsala with mushrooms and knew we had lots of mushrooms in the refrigerator.  So I suggested nicely that it might make a good dinner.  So mid-afternoon, Evie thawed some chicken breasts, sliced thin filets, pounded them out, then sauteed them and made a sauce with mushrooms, garlic, white and marsala wine and other herbs, and we had our dinner ready by 4:30. 

Thunder Bridge
Meanwhile, I was bored with my book, TRANSCRIPTION by British novelist Kate Atkinson, so I  decided to walk the Chautauqua Institution in the snow.  I parked at the south gate and started my walk, almost turning around because of the wet snow.  But I persevered and ended up walking for forty-five minutes, even enjoying the icy snow.  I was the only crazy one out walking in this weather except for some construction workers, renovating houses.  

Chautauqua Bookstore And Post Office
Around 6:00, we sat around the fireplace, enjoyed a glass of wine,  It was pleasant to be inside, warm and comfortable as the snowflakes danced in the wind.  Around 6:00, Evie put on the rice and by 6:45, we were sitting happily in our TV room, enjoying our chicken marsala on a bed of rice. I am a lucky guy.  We watched another episode of MY BRILLIANT LIFE and we really liked this episode because it was more optimistic, less dark and violent than the first three.  We then watched Stephen Colbert followed byThe Great British Baking Show but Evie kept falling asleep so she went up to bed.  I stayed down and watched the end of the first half of NFL game before joining her.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...