Thursday, December 6, 2018

A Few Snowflakes, Still Cold


7:33
I was up at 6:00 and was surprised to see how little it had snowed overnight in light of the Winter Storm Advisory.  In fact, most of it seemed to fall as we were driving to our friend's home for dinner last night at 6:00.  We may get a few inches later in the day but that seems to be it for the storm.  Sorry the blog's so late; we forgot to publish at 9:15.

Yesterday was a good day.  I started my morning with a paddle, was home with enough time to get the blog done and have breakfast.  I then drove to yoga and once again, I had a personal yoga class as I was the only one to participate.  Julie took her time, made sure I was doing the various asanas correctly, which was really helpful.  This should happen more often.  After class, I drove to Home Depot, to return a few things and get a couple of fluorescent light bulbs that had finally burned out in our closets after twenty-two years.  I couldn't go to Home Depot without doing a little shopping in Wegman's which is next door.  So I picked up a few things Evie needed, like romaine, which is finally safe to eat.  And I was home by 12:45, just as the Bush Memorial Service was finishing up.  Evie had it DVRed but had listened to most of it on Sonos.

She had been busy, of course, and had a nice pot of carrot and cauliflower soup, flavored with coriander and miso, ready for my lunch.  And because we had bought some Greek kashkaval cheese at Cleveland's West Side Market, she made me toasted cheese sandwiches or tost as they called it in Istanbul.  We both then enjoyed our soup and sandwich and watched Bush's service.  We were really impressed by the four speakers.  All four were articulate, funny, moving and brought both of us to tears at times.  It was quite a spectacle, somber, emotional, and ennobling.   Bush was a great man, maybe not a great President, but few have served their country with such honor, with such a resume, WW II veteran, Congressman, Ambassador, CIA Chief, Vice President, and President. 

Long Point, Late Afternoon
I was able to do some reading and get in a nap before I decided to go for a hike through the woods around 4:30.  It was just starting to snow which makes walking even more enjoyable.  As I was walking, I thought about the fact that it was deer season, that a woman had been shot and killed last December when she was out walking her dog at dusk, so I  yelled a couple of times that I was hiking, just in case a stray hunter was nearby.  And I had my camera out, to take a couple of photos when I turned around and thought I saw the silhouettes of two sitting deer to my right.  I thought that it could not be deer but turned my camera towards them and two jumped up and ran away before I could get their photo. 

Woodlawn At 4:40

Our Neighbor's Fish Sculpture
When I got home, it was time for both of us to shower and get gussied up because we were going to dinner at Linda and Ron's.  As I mentioned, we drove over there as the snow was just beginning to let up.  As usual, we had our beers in the kitchen, with two great kinds of cheese from our local artisan cheese maker, Reverie Creamery And Artisan Market.  Dinner was perfect for a cold, winter night, short ribs, gravy, on a bed of what I thought was mashed potatoes but learned it was really creamy cauliflower.  I could hardly tell the difference.  It was another fun night, as we talked about what an amazing life Bush had led and how he deserved all the pomp and seriousness of the Memorial.  We left for home around 9:45 in a light snow, gusty wind but the roads were empty.  A good day, especially for me, getting in paddle, yoga, hike, and then dining out. 

Dinner With Santa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...