Friday, December 14, 2018

Meltdown


7:28
Morning Breakfast Bar
It's a cloudy, 36º morning, cloudy of course, with a brief tinge of pink over Tom's Point, to the south.  The next two days will bring temperatures in the '40s, so I assume the snow will disappear as well as much of the ice on the lake.  Get out the kayak.

Red Bellied Woodpecker
Yesterday was a busy day for Evie, not so much for me.  I was out of the house by 8:00 for breakfast over at the Bemus Point Inn.  When I returned home, Evie had pulled out all the sprinkles and cut out cookie shapes.  And as I drove to yoga in Lakewood, she started putting together the cookie dough.  The yoga class was the right size, about 15 of us and afterward, I stopped at Ryder's Cup and sat around like one of the guys, talking about duck and deer hunting, something I know nothing about, have never done.  I learned quite a bit.

Christmas Cookies 
When I got home and opened the door, the aroma of baked cookies filled the house.  The kitchen, of course, was a mess but off in the corner was the first batch of Christmas trees and candy canes, dotted with red or green sugar sprinkles.  I was able to squeeze into a corner of the kitchen and make myself a couple of avocado and tomato sandwiches on toast without getting in the way. I watched NARCOS as Evie worked on and after I was done, I helped her a bit with the sprinkling of sugar.  I am capable of doing that.  She finally finished around 2:00 and I helped clean up the kitchen before reading and taking a nap.

On Thin Ice

A Dipping Mallard
The rest of the afternoon we both relaxed, as most of the work was done.  I worked on attempting to transfer photographs from my computer to a hard drive but was having difficulty which will probably necessitate a phone call to the SanDisk helpline later this afternoon.  Evie, however, spent a good hour with our neighbor, Becky, helping her navigate on her smartphone.  Around 5:00, Evie decided to pack up the cookies, getting them ready to send to our grandchildren and we had our wine in the TV room, watching the 'new' breaking news.  We had the leftover meatloaf and mashed potatoes for dinner, at least I did, heating it up in the microwave. Evie made herself a meatloaf sandwich which she loves, reminding her of her childhood days.  We also had something healthy, a salad and broccoli and we watched a couple of Colbert, the first episode of The Amazing Mrs. Maisel, some NFL and woman's volleyball.  And I finished up EDUCATED by Tara Westover, and her lifelong struggle to cut the nets of her family, custom, religion, and her father's paranoia.  I decided I need something different so I started a Tana French.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...