Thursday, December 13, 2018

Through a Polaroid Lens


7:18
It's starting to get light at 7:10, Long Point just visible in the gray, overcast morning.  It's 32 and we might get a few more snowflakes this morning but not enough to be a problem.  The lake is slowly melting, as only a few yards of the shoreline is frozen.

Still Fishing On A Partially Frozen Lake
Wednesday was not much of change from previous days, weeks, years.  Coffee, write the blog and drive off to yoga at 9:40.  Jen, my teacher, has become a surfer and was in the water off off Presque Isle on Tuesday, catching a few waves, a tough gal to brave the cold waters of Lake Erie.  I mentioned to her that I used to surf in Hawaii back in the 1960s but she was not too impressed.  I don't blame her.  The class was good, lots of emphasis on prana, or breathing exercises.  I can handle them.  Afterward, I joined the crush at Aldi's where they had rib roasts on sale for 5.95 a pound, quite a deal since I saw a couple of roasts at Wegman's for over a hundred bucks.  I like Aldi's more and more, a poor man's Trader Joe's.

When I got home, I filled the bird feeder which I tend to do every three or four days because it's so busy.  For lunch, Evie made me a quesadilla and warmed up the last of the cauliflower soup and I watched Narcos.  Before driving off to Mayville for a doctor's appointment, Evie put together our dinner, a meatloaf, a meal I woke up thinking about yesterday morning and voila, I get it a day later.

Woodlawn

Victoria Creek
While Evie was at the doctor's, I read, took a nap and decided around 3:30 get some exercise so I hiked around our woods on a gray and gloomy afternoon. I tried listening to Apple Music as I hiked with success but I am not sure that's the way to go when I hike.  I find I am either listening to music or paying attention to nature and I prefer nature. The music is fine for a treadmill or walking in a neighborhood but not in the woods.

The Lake Through The Trees

Long Point On A Cold, Gloomy Afternoon
Around 6:00, we turned on the fireplace and enjoyed our usual preprandial glass of wine, this time with pretzels and dip.  While we enjoyed dusk, the meatloaf was baking so that by 7:00, we were happy in our TV room, with a meatloaf and mashed potatoes dinner with a salad of course.  I really like meatloaf, the ultimate comfort food and we have enough leftover for another dinner, perhaps a lunch or two.  We were not sure what to watch since we were finished with MY BRILLIANT FRIEND, so we stuck with a couple of Stephen Colbert's and ended the evening with The Great British Baking Show, always fun.  And I continue to enjoy and be amazed as I read EDUCATED.  At the moment, Tara managed to win a scholarship to Cambridge, despite never having gone to high school and being the victim of an abusive, crazy father, an amazing story of an obviously brilliant but damaged young woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...